www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: macromedia director

macromedia director

does anyone have this? is it worth buying. im not sure how much it is, but i'd like to get it. any info would be great. thanks.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”

Steven,

I've purchased both Studio MX and Director MX from Macromedia, though I haven't even had a chance to take the shrinkwrap off Director yet.

In general, Flash has become the standard development application for multimedia stuff on the Web. Of course, you can also build self-contained, self-running Flash "programs" that can operate on their own (without Web connectivity). These are similar to "projectors" in Director terminology, which also run on their own. To further blur the line, Director files can also run on the Web via the Shockwave plug-in.

Both programs have their advantages and disadvantages. I have friends/colleagues who swear by Flash, and others who like Director better. If you're doing just basic, animated projects (that don't require a lot of database connectivity or other advanced features), Flash is a good choice. If you want more advanced controls and features, go with Director (which is often used to create entire SOFTWARE programs from scratch).

Then again, if you're looking mainly for funky type treatments/effects, check out SWiSH as an alternative:

http://www.swishzone.com/

Jason

thanks a lot for the info. I'll probably stick with either Flash or Swish. I'm having plenty of troubles trying to figure out how to make what I want in Flash, and Swish seems much simpler, so I'll probably go with Swish.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”

I've used Flash before and have access to Director MX, yes Swish is easier to learn but basic Flash animations aren't too hard.

The best way I found learning Flash was to watch someone who was familiar with it use it for around 10 minutes to show my the basics, which was far more productive than following the tutorials.
    Last edited by Robert Wellock; 05-22-2003 at 01:03 PM.

Ditto ... having one-on-one instruction with someone who knows what's going on with the program is WAY more productive and efficient than trying to thrash through the program tutorials on your own.

I haven't yet come across a built-in software tutorial that's even half as good as sitting down with other people and watching them work.

Jason

thanks, that sounds like really good advice, though i dont know anyone personally that knows how to use it. (i live in a pretty small community). perhaps one of the school's computer teachers could help me out.

Y'know..I went to college and we learned both Director AND Flash...both are hard for me...I thought I was just a major doofus for not understanding it.

Director was nice but I had a hard time learning how to do that "aligning" whatever doowhacky stuff.

Flash is nice but again I have a hard time making an animation as well as a web page....always get hung up on the "mouse-over" and mouse whatever things. So I just use Flash to make single drawings...like my avatar.

I haven't heard of Swish before but I think I will research it!
    Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
    To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
    That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
    In those days we really believed that to be the worlds one, and only truth.
    - FullMetal Alchemist

Thread Information