www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FireFox vs. Internet Explorer

FireFox vs. Internet Explorer

I've got a rather processor intensive feature on my web page. I noticed that it runs a lot faster in Mozilla Firefox than in Internet Explorer. Can anybody tell me why?

I don't really care as far as performance goes, but it would be interesting to know.

http://www.dcameraman.com/modules.ph...=Chance_Or_Not
    Josh
    Last edited by Some1 Somewhere; 01-27-2006 at 03:42 PM.

Darn, from the thread title I thought this was gonna be a cage match.

Basicly cos IE is crap.

And FF rules.

man...stop following the ff bandwagon. All I hear is "IE Sucks!!", "IE is crap", etc..

If you compare all the problems IE has to Firefox, you'll notice that Firefox has a lot more bugs than IE.

Sources: http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=7059

Firefox is faster than IE because it doesn't take up that much system resources.

Depends on what it is. Here's a mozilla rendering test page which consistently runs faster in IE than any Gecko browser I've tried (or Opera, for that matter)

http://scragz.com/tech/mozilla/test-rendering-time.php

Quote Originally Posted by designer4life
    man...stop following the ff bandwagon. All I hear is "IE Sucks!!", "IE is crap", etc..

If you compare all the problems IE has to Firefox, you'll notice that Firefox has a lot more bugs than IE.

Firefox is faster than IE because it doesn't take up that much system resources.
    Just because anyone can throw statistics around: http://nanobox.chipx86.com/security_summary.php

Without recourse to all of the raw data, none of us can really know which is better/worse since, "There are liars, damn liars, and statisticians." (Mark Twain, I think?)
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    Darn, from the thread title I thought this was gonna be a cage match.
    Carefull what you ask for!

I actually use both quite a bit, and try to use others as well even though I don't especially like them. I feel like it's my responsibility as a developer to know what the users are having to go through.

I have found that most pages I go to load faster in IE, but there are many that load faster in FF. I've never really found an answer as to why.
    Jon

MSIE sucks for two reasons.

After the collapse of Netscape Microsoft thought that the browser wars had been won and they closed down the development team. It was Opera that woke them up and before they could restart the team FF had already come along and started to whoop their behinds. So MSIE is simply old technology.

A long time ago Bill Gates had this dream that people wouldn't have to buy all of their software. If you only had afew flyers to do a year you would rent the use of Publisher onthe internet. Publisher would run as a web application through Internet Explorer. But for that to work the web applications would need access to your file controls - and that's where all those computer viruses got their start. And MSIE is big and slow to support the weight of that plan.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

I am not just jumping on the band wagon the reason I like FF is cos of the web developer extension it makes lots of common tasks easier to do.

It has nothing to do with the speed for me.

Maybe the reason you keep hearing it is cos it is true.

Anyways it is only an opinion if you prefer IE then stick to it I am not saying you have to use FF.

I still have to use IE myself for certain things I always check the stuff I make on all browsers also the online A+ course I am doing at the min will only work propley though IE.
    Last edited by johneva; 01-27-2006 at 08:45 AM.

I use IE, Firefox, and Opera for development. I actually perfer Opera because of their active tab. I see too much IE sucks, Ie is crap, etc. without a valid reason why and it makes me bitter.

I use IE, Firefox, and Opera for development. I actually perfer Opera because of their active tab. I see too much IE sucks, Ie is crap, etc. without a valid reason why and it makes me bitter.

Yep I too use Oprea not keen on it my self though, just not used it much though.

Same with Netscape got it but dont use it much, just for checking my webiste look ok in it really.

Like I say my fav at the min is FF mainly cos some of the extesions are just so usful.

Yes your right it does make you rather bitter by the sounds of it.

Dont you think you should find out more about me before accusing me of being a mindless sheep?

i personally dont think any of them are better than each other. yes firefox has extentions, tabs, its open source etc... but it has its flaws.

its everyone down to personal preferance.

FF ADV:
    extentions
    "standard browser"
    open source
    tabs
    RSS tabs

FF DIS:
    slower to load
    not all sites are compatible (due to people using features built into IE)
    not always as stable
    open source so expoiters can find out expolits easier

IE ADV:
    quick to load
    comes with windows
    automatically updates with windows
    simple/easy to use for new users
    many programs are made to work with IE

IE DIS:
    sometimes unstable (recently alot better)
    usual anti microsoft hackers/exploters
    no tabs
    attacks from adware and spyware

i know theres alot more but its not a simple case of ones better than the other they both have pros and cons.

i mainly use FF when designing/developing as usually if it works on FF it will work the same in IE with minimal editing. i also take advantage of many of the extentions such as the dev toolbar.
    but...
    when i just want to run a quick search and FF isnt open ill use Ie as it loads quicker and loads the pages just as fast 99% of the time.

Thanks for all input

Hello all,

Thank you for all your posts. I think I was expected too much of a cut and dried answer. Basically when you filter through all the bias, it boils down to IE being a bigger program than FF. Kinda like running XP on your computer and then switching to windows 95 and watching it fly.

Sorry for asking such a controversial question.

Oh and by the way the link up in my first post should work now. . .

Or

http://www.dcameraman.com/modules.ph...=Chance_Or_Not

Thanks for your time.

Josh

FireFox
    advantages: more ease of use features; more secure.
    disadvantages: can be slow at times

Internet Explorer
    advantages: fast
    disadvantages: any day now we'll see yet another Microsoft vuln that affects IE; IE crashing can require a reboot

Opera
    advantages: Fast and more secure.
    disadvantages: Still has some misc. problems with javascript/java-enabled sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Some1 Somewhere
    Basically when you filter through all the bias, it boils down to IE being a bigger program than FF. Kinda like running XP on your computer and then switching to windows 95 and watching it fly.
    There's a bit more to it than that. MSIE is actually causes harm and it does this two ways.

To begin with, it doesn't support a lot of features that we need in order to make pages that are accessible to all users. Id est, the Q and ABBR elements, huge chunks of the CSS2 specification. If we follow the simple rules and make pages that work on every other browser then we have to play all kinds of complicated games to get them to also work on MSIE.

It does however, support a host of non-standard and enticing stuff. This encourages people to make pages that rely upon this stuff and we end up with pages that only work on MSIE. This was an intentional tactic employed because of the browser wars.

It's not bias, it's an informed judgement. MSIE is evil.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

Thread Information