www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: starting with sql

starting with sql

Just a quick question folks, i am just starting with sql, read a few tutorials and it seems like a good thing to knoow atleast the basics of for personal use.

I find i ronic that i have not found much information about where to code it, compile?

is there some kind of program i need to download to play with simple create table and select statments.

if yes where would i get that from, and how would i link it to say maybe frontpage.

I would appreaciate any information or links to good information to start learning fron the right point.

My suggestion would be to consider downloading and installing XAMPP, which will install MySQL as well as Apache, PHP, and PhpMyAdmin; allowing you not only to practice with MySQL for your SQL skills, but to learn how to incorporate it with server-side scripting (PHP) on your web site.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Apache and MySql are an excellent choice, however since you referred to Frontpage which is Microsoft, then perhaps you should check out MS Visual Web Developer Express Edition. It is a WYSIWYG html designer which includes SQL Server 2005 Express and the web developer has integrated tools to work with SQL Server 2005. Here is the www: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vwd/

Good Luck.

I appreaciate both your suggestions and as for the second post with the VWD,
    The setup process stats
    <quote>
    "designed specifically to develop applications using ASP .NET 2.0"
    </quote>

and since i am new to this whole web developing and SQL, what can you tell me about asp .net and how does that differ fron building the site using frontpage.

ASP.Net is a server side processing technology, meaning that it processes code on the server side and returns the results to the client in the form of html. In your case, you would write code to query your database (SQL Server), perform any analysis of the data and then perhaps return formatted results back to the client on a web page.

To get you started on the ASP.Net path then I suggest reading the tutorial from beginning to end on this site: www.asp.net --> tutorials

For everything MS you should have a look at MSDN: msdn.microsoft.com

VWD and Frontpage are both WYSIWYG applications to design web sites, however VWD is geared more towards professional developers who require tools to program using the ASP.Net technology. After gaining some knowledge of both, you could work with both of them together.

I'm going to drift a little now and give you some side info. It is my personal opinion that Frontpage is one of the worst tools for professional web dev. However if you are just simply trying to get something out on the web and you are a complete novice, then it is probably one of the friendliest tools for you. If you aspire to become a professional web dev. however, then it is a good idea that you learn to use better tools as well as learn about the different technologies available.

For example: NogDog suggested you use PHP and MySql. PHP is another powerful server side programming language and comes from the open source community. You may consider investigating this a little futher.

Hope that helps, don't hesitate to ask more.
    Last edited by Cstick; 02-06-2006 at 06:58 AM.

Thank you for your time, i am a novice, and i will have to use frontpage for alittle while and then move on to be am intermediate, but no mean will i ever be a professional, this is jsut all for personal use.

I n regards to mysql, i have been reading alot of forums and tutorials and unfortunatly most have failed to truly start from basics?

so many site indicate links where to download sql 5,1 but if i am hosting my site with a hosting company that supports php pearl and mysql, then do i need to isntall sql server on my computer??

It seems to me that i need to download the prgoram in which you code mysql and creat tables and such but i am not sure where to do that.

like previously sggested to downlaod XAMPP, unfortunatly i dont think it is bigginers friendly?

I am just too lost.

Thread Information