www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: DW8 or developer

DW8 or developer

Hello all,
    I have a website I would like to get off the ground. This website will be a business not a personal site. Several decisions have come my way from before the begining of getting here (to this forum) until now and I don't expect decision making to ever stop in my endeavor to start this business. So here's one burning question (amongst many) that I would really appreciate some advice, criticism, ideas, alternatives to. Do I use DW8 (accompanied w/it's Adobe companion design tools) to design the bare bones pages of my site or do I hire a web developer from day one to help design and implement my site? My plan is to design the pages, logo, layouts and content first and then hire a programmer/developer to design the applications I need to really get the site to work. I have no experience w/DW8 but that can be learned. I hope this question bodes well with your viewers and maybe this can help other people in the same position. Thanks!

Well..while it is good to learn a developing tool like Dreamweaver...unless you want to learn programming scripts and all..I personally go with having a developer put it together for you.

Have the layout drawn out on paper or something and tell the developer what you want and where..the developer will even have suggestions to help make it better.

But..like I said, it is a VERY good idea to have some idea of what it is you need before you embark on such an endeavor....don't forget that if you are selling things then issues like order forms, payment and so forth need to be ironed out. A developer will be able to help you out on this too.

However..keep in mind that not all of your customers will have Broadband, Cable or DSL internet. Many, like myself, will still have Dial-Up so when using graphics..keep that in mind..as graphics with too many kilobytes will just take to long to load.

Also..many people like myself use ad blocking software so it is a good idea to refrain from using javascript to go to the next page, HTML or CSS is just as good and seems to be more readily handled by other browsers than javascript....those who use ad blockers don't appreciate having to deactivate it just to navigate your site, I have experienced this many times and it is very diconcerting...this is important.

Anyways..this is just my opinion..I do, however, wish you much success on your business. You will do great.

You are right...the learning never ends...but keep in mind that a site can be simple yet more functional than one comprised of solely javascripts and other programming languages....point is that using more complex programming scripts does not automatically ensure a better site.

Thanks for the helpful advice. I was only considering using DW8 to learn a little about what my site looks like under the hood. If I hire a developer from day one I won't even know how to open the hood much less fix some thing that's gone awry (because we should all know stuff happens).

Thread Information