www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Searching through an Excel Doc on a website

Searching through an Excel Doc on a website

Hello!

I am very new here am in desperate need of help. I have never used SQL before, and in fact, dont have a clue what it is. From what i have gathered though it appears to be a programming language.

This is fortunate, however, for i have had 3 programming classes at school (Java, C++, C#, btw, i am still in high school).

in a previous post in another part of this forum, i discovered this

I'm just a beginner.

I've made a simple wegpage in html.

I've also an access database and I've convertid it into an excel file that I stored in as a html page.

I want to make a searchfunction in the first one where you give a name for example and you get a list with all tge found line with your search.

example :

Barry White : xxx
    Barry White : yyy
    Lime : zzz

When you type xxx you get the first line but when you type Barry or White Or barry white you get both lines.

Thanks for your help.

From a man who is tryong to learn and understand but still a dummy!
    from what i gather, this is very similar to the predicament that i am in.

i am creating a cemetary index for my local library, and we have exported the whole listing of the grave plots (names, birth days, death, home town, ect.)to an excel document.

i need to make a portion of my website search through the excel file, but i have also converted it to a html file too, so it doesnt really matter which format it is in, just as long as i can search it.

the followups on that post i have quoted pointed me to this forum, so i have come begging for assistance.

any help would be terrific, and thanks in advance.

EDIT: btw, it would also be very helpful to know what programs i need to use sql. Thanks again
    Last edited by Darth Circuit; 02-08-2006 at 07:29 PM.

Are you using ASP.NET?

First you have to create the data connection to the Excel file, with the SQL statement you create. Then load the connection onto a data adapter, then load onto a dataset.

What parameters are you using to search for the desired plot? This can get a little tricky. Companies pay thousands of dollars for parametric searches on their web sites.

i am now downloading asp.net, it shouldnt take too much longer.

First you have to create the data connection to the Excel file, with the SQL statement you create. Then load the connection onto a data adapter, then load onto a dataset.
    Sounds great, but once again, i am a uber-noob, and dont quite understand. Please expain what you might mean. thanks

as for the parameters, we were looking toward an "all words" search. (and i know you arent stupid, but i have a thing about giving examples so, here it is)

btw, its not the real spreadsheet, but i think you get the idea
    Code:
    DECEASED                   BIRTHDAY              DEATHDAY              SOMETHING ELSE

SOMEONEA                  10/24/1975            TOMMOROW            BLABLABLA
    SomeoneB                     blabla                  bla bla                     yougettheidea

so if someone searched for 10/24/1975, they would get everyone with the birth/death-day 10/24/1975. or if someone searched for SOMEONEA, then they would recieve all of the records of the person that has that name.

once again forgive me, but i do have a terrible problem with having to give stupid examples

Ok, it might take me some time to come up with the .NET code, but I need to know a one more:

What version of Excel are you running?

i created the file in excel 2003, but i might soon be forced down to excel xp or 2000.

we are currently redoing some of our computers, mine being one of them unfortunatly, and my boss has lost some of the software.

btw, thank you so much for your help

I'd also ask the guys at http://www.ozgrid.com/forums for help. I'm a regular there, and those guys know their stuff. I can help you with the .NET stuff, but as for the SQL statement to get a full query might be along their turf.

Hey thanks!

btw, what is your name on the other forum so i can fill in the refferer box
    Last edited by Darth Circuit; 02-09-2006 at 08:01 PM.

RB_Juice

Thread Information