www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Problem with query

Problem with query

I have a table of custom data (called fields)
    field_id, user_id, field_value

lets just say:
    row 1
    field_id=1
    user_id=2
    field_value ='aaa'

row 2
    field_id=2
    user_id=2
    field_value = 'bbb'

I am having problems with the WHERE part of my clause.. I want to select all rows where the user has field_id[1] a value of 'aaa' and also has a field_value[2] of 'bbb'...

WHERE (f.field_id=1 AND f.field_value = 'aaa') AND (f.field_id=2 AND f.field_value = 'bbb')

hope someone can help me make it work, thanks!!

The full query:
    SELECT u.* FROM users AS u, fields AS f WHERE (f.field_id=1 AND f.field_value = 'aaa') AND (f.field_id=2 AND f.field_value = 'bbb')

thankss!

can't do that.

I'm just guessing that what you really mean is:
    Code:
    WHERE (f.field_id=1 AND f.field_value = 'aaa') OR (f.field_id=2 AND f.field_value = 'bbb')
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

OR works...

but I want the condition to match...

I want to select all users who match a number of conditions on this second table.

In that example, I want BOTH of the subscriber's fields (rows 1 and 2) to match 'aaa' and 'bbb' respectively... not either or... ?

table users
    id, email
    1, a@b.c
    2, d@e.f

table fields
    field_id, userid, value
    1,1,'aaa'
    2,1,'bbb'
    1,2,'aaa'
    2,2,'ccc'

so I would only want to get user 1 ebcause they amtch both 'aaa' and 'bbb', but user 2 does not...
    Last edited by sdesigns; 02-16-2006 at 11:45 PM.

try this one.. ( i hope undestood correctly.. all ur userid and field_id values with just 1s and 2s is confusing)

select * from users where userid in(select f1.userid from users f1,users f2 where f1.userid=f2.userid and f1.value='aaa' and f2.VALUE='bbb')

it might be complicated. i dont know if there's a simpler query for this..

no that.. won't work

at least not how i understand it.

f1 and f2... i don't quite follow but.. ya

Quote Originally Posted by sdesigns
    so I would only want to get user 1 ebcause they amtch both 'aaa' and 'bbb', but user 2 does not...
    you want to fetch all those users (userid) who have both the values 'aaa' and 'bbb'. right.
    i'm not sure wat are trying to achieve thru field_id in this case..

As I stated, you can't do that.

YOu should create a view that is a join on this table w/ itself to see all pairs of attributes for the same user. Then compare that view to your user. You can't analyze two rows - its illogical. When you create the view, it'll have 1 user with both attributes, then you can see who has both and if your user has it.

chazzy -- I am not sure I totally follow you. Could you explain a bit more or show some code?

thanks

Basically, you are trying to find a user that has a particular 2 rows of data. Normally, you can't do that, you only do row by row comparisons. In order to emulate this, you need to create a view - where it will show the user, column_a, column_b, the 2nd column_a and the second column_b. You know what a view is, right?

You then check that the first field is 'aaa' and the second is 'bbb' and it should work.

Thread Information