dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: What are Register Global Variables?

What are Register Global Variables?

It is a frequent necessity to transfer variable values between pages. You may have an HTML <form> which asks for user input to named fields. These fields (as well as hidden variables) will be transferred to a PHP page for processing. This may be the same page that defines the form, or a different one. A method of either 'post' or 'get' must be given in the form tag.

Another way to transfer variable data to another page is make an HTML link (such as with <a href="target_page.php?var_name_1=data&var_name_2=data">click this link</a>).This of course can be entered on the browser's address line, too. This information (the stuff after the ?, or "var_name_1=data&var_name_2=data") is known as a URL Query String ("UQS") and can be treated like a "GET" form submission.

All I know is that I wouldn't transmit any sensitive data over a URL String and some people tend to get upset seeing their info in a url. Just my opinion, there are plenty of other ways than using Global Variables, no matter what they are called. Again my .02 cents.

Not that anything in this thread so far seems to have anything to do with register_globals in PHP, mind you (which has been deprecated for years and is no longer available as of PHP 5.4.0).
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

hello ,
    Register global variables are frequent necessity to transfer variable values between pages. If you have an HTML form which asks you for user input to named fields. These fields will be transferred to a PHP page for processing.

Thread Information