dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: iframes and css

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    56

    iframes and css

    I'm currently working on a project where really the only solution is to use iframes.

    My first question, is there any css alternative to iframes - perhaps where in a div it actually just loads a different html file?

    If not, then is there a way in which the main html file can access text information within an iframe and display that text in the top file?

    For example, within the iframe, a user clicks a link and some text discribing it shows up outside of the iframe, yet the top html file doesn't have to reload or anything like that?

    Just curious!

    The good news is that I've managed to make my site almost 100% css. That's another thread once I get it cleaned up...

    Thanks,

    Dave

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,972
    Quote Originally Posted by avatarbilbo
    I'm currently working on a project where really the only solution is to use iframes.
    Howso?

    Quote Originally Posted by avatarbilbo
    My first question, is there any css alternative to iframes - perhaps where in a div it actually just loads a different html file?
    No, css has nothing to do with structure like that.

    Quote Originally Posted by avatarbilbo
    If not, then is there a way in which the main html file can access text information within an iframe and display that text in the top file?

    For example, within the iframe, a user clicks a link and some text discribing it shows up outside of the iframe, yet the top html file doesn't have to reload or anything like that?
    This is achiveable with a certain level of AJAX.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Jerryville, Tejas
    Posts
    11,715
    AJAX or Inner Browsing can do things like that. You have to control the content of the iframe, though.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    56
    Hey, thanks for the tips...

    Here is the site I'm working on:

    http://www.davidjcubberly.com/new/index.html
    css: http://www.davidjcubberly.com/new/img/style.css

    I've used iframes so that when I want to alter/add content to the design I won't have to edit 100s of little html files. I tried to avoid using them, but it seemed like the simplest solution at the moment.

    The css isn't complete yet. I'd like to make the navigation banner be text rather than image rollovers - I'll get to that shortly. Also, I'm still using tables for displaying the pictures... Basically, I'm slowly switching out bad html practices with good css.

    Lastly, just so you know what I'm talking about - when you go through the photos, I'd like the text on the bottom to change along with the iframe... I guess I'll have to find a different solution for that.

    Thanks again for you comments and help.

    Dave

    ps- it looks horrendous in IE... that's a whole other thread for that... I know it looks fine in FF.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
HTML5 Development Center



Recent Articles