well it is helping you in a way as it indicates that out of preference, people like to have the choice of listen or not, so making your web page play audio is not a good idea, wav files are big too so anyone on dialup which is best part of the internet, will have to wait long times for a site thats stalled because it is waiting for the audio to download before it can play...
So thats one reason why not to have audio, most internet users wont appreciate it, even me, I agree and dont like audio in web pages even if it is for a buton rollover effect, it is imposing audio on someone that may have a setup where they like to play audio loud on the media player of their choice and along comes you with some thrash metal blasting out and blowing the poor listeners cones across the room...
Yes I dooooo sooooo speak from experience and I was lest pleased when I found the replacement cost set me back £200 for a new set of speakers. Unlike most computer users, I dispenced with the crappy audio multimedia speakers because they lack dynamic range and easily distort, play through my HiFi was 'wow' quality and had the required kick up until I visited a website that for some reason blasted out some hard rock, lucky for me it didnt take out my amp or I would have been really p*ssed.
Still want to attract the wrath of your viewers? A little consideration can pay off in the long run.
I'm afraid Netbuddy is totally correct... Nothing says "HEY I'M NOT WORKING" like music on webpages.
ALso if I'm sitting here and I load a tab or window that starts playing music, I gennerlly close it before finding a mute switch.
If you wanna know how to make it work thats great!!! Were there, but you also have to take our input on what we have found as developers and not get upset about it. SO long as we are not rude about it and make a valid point. Now the first reply by netbuddy was very good... he loooked at your link reported back to say that it should be working and then he commented on the fact not many people want to hear music from a site. Which I totally agree with as would 95% of website creators, the other 5% put music on their sites
Thanks for your replies. It's only a small file of 51 kb, not loud or blasting, just the sound of a harley engine that plays for a few seconds. I have over sixty pages on my site and only one page has sound on it and it deals with pictures of the engine on my plane I am building. I had several fellow plane builders ask me to put the sound of the engine on my site.
I don't intend to sound like a smart alec, but from my point of view, I just asked a simple question. While I understand your positions, it's not mine. And, I really didn't ask for opinions, I only asked why it doesn't work on Firefox while it works on Explorer. If no one knows the answer or doesn't want to answer because they don't agree with what I am doing, then that's fine, leave it at that. For what it's worth, I don't like a bunch of loud sounds on sites and normally wouldn't have any on my site, but this is a little different.
Point being that allot of people listen to music and video whilst surfing, like me, I have a mediaplayer that allows me to play a video or music on my desktop, I can still work away with disturbing the media playing and also some of us 'Capture' the audio streams and no one likes to have to do something again because a web site that they were viewing suddenly launched into a roaring motor bike in the middle of a ambient trance tune for example.
I had my speakers destroyed from such inconsideration, offer the user the choice to 'Turn Sounds ON' and not to have to fight to turn them off or have to navigate away, the object of the exercise is to keep viewers and not frighten them away.
My ISP was bombarded with complaints about ... "DING DING" <-(should be able to guyss from this!) pop ups and they then provided them WITHOUT interfering with sound... if the big boys play ball, whats your problem. Not wanting to sound funny with you but its not that hard to OFFER A CHOICE is it?
I tried every option they had but could only get it to work in explorer...seems that there are issues with Firefox. You may get it to work using the embed command (discussed in the article). I tried that and it prompted me to install an Apple Quicktime plug-in for Firefox, but it was 32Mb and I'm on dial-up. Hope this helps.