www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Link checker

Hybrid View

Link checker

Hey, guys, I've got yet another question. I was thinking today, and wondering... How would I use PHP to go to a page and follow all of the links on that page and print their URIs? Any ideas? I haven't come up with anything, but I am definitely ready and willing to learn this new field.

Thanks,

Jona
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

Is it possible to open pages outside your own server with PHP? I only know about fopen, and that is your-server only.

So do I, but it must be possible. I mean, unless you have to use CGI, but PHP should be able to do it, too.

http://validator.w3.org/ searches through the source of a specific URI (or an uploaded temporary file, but I know how to do that).

There is another site that checks spelling, links, etc., etc. on a Web page you specify. How do I make PHP follow links from page to page and write out the results (example: visit somesite.com, find all of the links on the page, print them all out, go to each one of those pages individually and print them out, etc.).

That's what I meant.... lol

I know how you can get it to find links, but if I can't make it open pages, it isn't much use, really. Where's Pyro...

He's, "not at my desk" right now... Man, he would know... (lol)

While we wait, though, how's about you show me some PHP code about getting all the links on a page? (I could just use Javascript and frames.... lol, but I don't wanna do that..)

validator.w3.org is using PHP. Now if they'd just written how they did it...

How strange, if you try to go to it by using index.php in their chck directory, it finds it.

This PHP regular expression should find any and all hyperlinks and return them. You would just need to loop. (Soz, I haven't tested it. I'm not at home, I'm on a laptop with a dial up.)

PHP Code:
    $look=ereg(<[a-zA-Z0-9]* href="[a-zA-Z0-9]*" [a-zA-Z0-9]*>[a-zA-Z0-9]*</a>); 

Hmmm.... I see. That looks interesting. It looks like one of the most used things in PHP is RegExps... I'll have to study more on those. lol

I've been using PHP for a while, and they are quite hard to use. Most often they can be replaced by simpler code, so I don't use them enough to become good.

I see. Well, I'll get good at 'em nonetheless! lol

You should be able to open the links with CURL.

Adam
    "If you’re not using valid HTML, then you haven’t created a Web page. You may have created something else, but it isn’t a Web page." - Joe Clark

Do something amazing (USA) | Make Poverty History

Adam, I'm assuming I'll need to install the package on my server then, right? I don't think I can do that on a free server... Is there any other way possible? (I will check to see if it's already installed on my server, which hopefully it is.)

Is this what you are looking for, Jona?

PHP Code:
    <?php

$code 
    file ('http://www.yahoo.com/'); // file to open

foreach ($code as $line_num => $line) { // loop through lines

echo "<span style=\"font-weight:bold;\">Line #$line_num :</span> " htmlspecialchars($line) . "<br>\n"// echo lines to screen. Note htmlspecialchars() convers special characters to their HTML entities
    }
    ?>

Personal website http://www.ryanbrill.com/
    Business website: http://www.infinitywebdesign.com/
    TypeSpace http://www.typespace.org/

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own!

Cijori, two things. One: Your code doesn't work. Two, I changed it up to make it work, but when I do it prints nothing. How can I fix this?

Thanks.

Thread Information