dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How to protect JS code from analysis by competent people?

Question How to protect JS code from analysis by competent people?

Hello, I'm developing very advanced web-based intranet application that uses a lot of very complex JavaScript for interface, including charting via the use of ActiveX components.
    Obviously I'm tempted to make the analysis of the javascript code very hard for people who may wish to steal my code and/or ideas.
    Is there anything I can do to make analysis of .js code difficult for *professionals*?
    Thanks.

Forget about it. Also why bother if this is just for the intranet...
    You can not hide it. You can only make it difficult to read, by removing all extra spaces and new lines (http://forums.webdeveloper.com/showt...2981#post42981) and name all your variables so that they make no sense...
    Last edited by Vladdy; 05-16-2003 at 10:38 AM.
    Vladdy

Working web site is not the one that looks the same in a few graphical browsers, but the one that adequately delivers its content to any device accessing it.

There's a source code encryptor you can use here:
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/encrypter.htm

This makes source appear meaningless, though the browser can still interpret it. Of course, it can be decrypted.

The only reliable way of stopping people getting your source is not letting them download it.

Adam
    "If youíre not using valid HTML, then you havenít created a Web page. You may have created something else, but it isnít a Web page." - Joe Clark

Do something amazing (USA) | Make Poverty History

In my experience, encripted code is less hastle to get to 'cause all you need to do is get to the encription/decription function (which obviously can not be encripted) and it's all yours.

In any case I found code tracking methods to be much better than any attempts to hide the source...
    Vladdy

Working web site is not the one that looks the same in a few graphical browsers, but the one that adequately delivers its content to any device accessing it.

Lightbulb Re: How to protect JS code from analysis by competent people?

Originally posted by tsar
    Hello, I'm developing very advanced web-based intranet application that uses a lot of very complex JavaScript for interface, including charting via the use of ActiveX components.
    Obviously I'm tempted to make the analysis of the javascript code very hard for people who may wish to steal my code and/or ideas.
    Is there anything I can do to make analysis of .js code difficult for *professionals*?
    Thanks.
    I've found a rather good solution to this problem - using tools called "obfuscators" - like Stunnix JS-Obfus available at http://www.stunnix.com/prod/jo/ or similar ones (they have to rename variables automatically in order the obfuscation to be irreversable). It seems that's the most what can be done (not counting licensing, lawers, etc)..

it will make modifications and analysis more difficult, but do nothing to prevent others from using it as is.
    Vladdy

Thread Information