dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Random daily advice thread

No he's saying that if you appreciate and praise people, it will pacify their anger. Idiot

I should add that one shouldn't try to pacify another at the time of his anger. Rather, over time, as you gradually appreciate and praise them then they will gradually toss aside their hated towards along with their anger.

The more we understand an individual the more we are able to appreciate them.
    Conversely lack of understanding toward an individual results in hatred.
    Last edited by Ultimater; 04-08-2007 at 01:44 AM.

The more we try to understand someone, the more we find we cannot seek to understand.

KDLA

Lol, got that right. I admit, some people I just simply fail to understand point blank -- the ones I usually label as fools -- however they seem to make the better fool out of me since I'm left in the dust as far as comprehending their logic.
    Last edited by Ultimater; 04-08-2007 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimater
    Lol, got that right. I admit, some people I just simply fail to understand point blank -- the ones I usually label as fools -- however they seem to make the better fool out of me since I'm left in the dust as far as comprehending their logic.
    The secret is to leave them alone. An ass will always bray loudest when he wants attention - not when you dangle a carrot in front of him.

I've been constantly re-reading and re-reading the book of Proverbs for quite some time; each verse to me is like a mathematical formula that can be used like a candle in a dark room to obtain wisdom. Although there are some verses I do not yet clearly comprehend, I hope I'll gain the proper understanding to grasp them in future repetition so I can use them in future verse combinations. I present to you a collection of verses that I selected from the book of Proverbs which I reordered in order to maintain flow. In no way is my list complete; I've went onto several pages before with additional verse combinations.

The poor man is hated even by his own neighbor and the rich has many friends. 14:20
    The crown of the wise is their riches and the foolishness of fools is folly. 14:24
    He that is void of wisdom despises his neighbor and a man of understand hold his peace. 11:12
    He that despises his neighbor sins and he that is kind to the poor is happy. 4:21
    The will of a king is for a wise servant and his anger will be upon the shameful one. 14:35
    He that answers a matter before he hears it, it is folly and shame to him. 18:13
    Leave the presence of a fool; you will gain no knowledge from his talk. 14:7
    One who spares with his words knows knowledge and a man of understanding speaks sparingly. 17:27
    A clever person conceals knowledge and the heart of fools proclaims foolishness. 12:23
    Every clever person acts with knowledge and a fool voices his folly. 13:16
    Folly is joy to one void of wisdom and a man of understanding rejoices when he walks justly. 15:21
    An understanding heart will seek knowledge and the mouth of fools feeds on foolishness. 15:14
    When the scoffer is punished, the simpleton gains wisdom; and when the wise receives discipline he gains knowledge. 21:11
    A scorner seeks wisdom but does not find it; knowledge is easy for him who understands. 14:6
    Wise men lay up knowledge and the mouth of fools brings ruin near. 10:14
    Who who guards his tongue keep his life but he who opens his lips shall have destruction. 13:3
    The wisdom of the prudent is to understand his way and the folly of fools is deceit. 14:8
    The ransom of a man's life is his wealth but the poor hears no threat. 13:8
    Last edited by Ultimater; 04-20-2007 at 07:34 PM.

Bad grammar, remove the red text:
    One who spares with his words knows knowledge and a man of
    understanding speaks sparingly. 17:27
    Eh... it is impossible to translate exactly from language to language. Actually I just translated that phrase from Hebrew itself regarding translating.
    Try not to blame my translation as inferior since I do learn in the native Hebrew text and am doing you guys a favor by translating, actually quite accurately, more accurate than most bibles around that tend to mix up the Hebrew words for wisdom and knowledge e.g. there is a very distinct different and are acquired in different manners. Otherwise my translation should be equivalent to most well-translated versions.
    Last edited by Ultimater; 04-20-2007 at 08:39 PM.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by EricG1793
    If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    That one is quoted in the Website Reviews forum quite often.

Yes it is and for reason.

Quote Originally Posted by KDLA
    That one is quoted in the Website Reviews forum quite often.
    I think it's a pretty stupid concept to be honest. What is to gain from pointing out what doesn't need changing and ignoring what does?

My random pieces advice for today are:
    1. Try to eat at meal times and not in between. Your digestive system is quite capable of taking large amounts of work in one go and it's harder to keep a balanced diet when your just eating on the hoof. Don't miss breakfast either, not just because you should need the energy for the rest of the day but also because giving your metabolism something to do will help your whole body awake and you'll feel better when you start working in the morning.
    2. You don't have to like someone, and they don't have to like you, for you to work well together. Respect and good communication can be powerful tools even when they aren't powered by friendship, and you really don't need to have anything in common with people to get along with them.
    3. Judge others and judge yourself, do this all the time and don't be afraid that it'll be rude or unfair: If you can do something better than the person currently trying, then do so and if someone can do it better than you, let them.
    4. Close all your P elements even when you're using HTML 4.01 and you don't have to, it's good practice and can also help you look at your document as a collection of nested objects without having to see it rendered.
    5. Do other things when you don't have to, like laying a table taking care to put the knives and forks in the right places. Paying extra attention to everyday tasks will give you a reason to think, and appreciate the world more fully.
    6. Talk to children, they do say the darndest things and they also come up with a few original insights that you might not have considered before. Children also really appreciate just having a conversation with someone, rather than having to play a game with arbitrary rules or having to learn stuff. Never try to sneak learning in other activities and expect children not to notice, they are children, not idiots.
    7. Read a poem every day, it'll make you better at articulating many things in everyday communication.

be nice to nerds cause you never know who's packing

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_archer7
    be nice to nerds cause you never know who's packing
    Ahhhh... I'm surprised nobody thought of that sooner. I agree with that completely. You look at Bill Gates, who was probably the nerdiest of the nerds, and look at the money he's making and how many people work for him. In fact he himself said to a group of kids once along the lines of "Be nice to the nerds. Most likely you'll be working for one someday."

I don't that's what be meant somehow. Also, he didn't actually say that. (snopes, innit)
    Last edited by the tree; 05-04-2007 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the tree
    I don't that's what be meant somehow. Also, he didn't actually say that.
    Agreed. I believe the connotation was negative, not charitable.
    For females, the statement has a dual meaning.
    "be nice to nerds cause you never know who's packing"
    (blush)

Thread Information