www.webdeveloper.com
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Random daily advice thread

If you try to find innuendo in everything everyone says, you'll probably manage.
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

The cure for the common cold and fever

Thermometers – chances are your mother stuck one in your mouth to read your body temperature to test whether or not you were really sick. Doctors today even have a thermometer that they stick in your ear to read the temperature of your body. Sickness offsets a person’s normal body temperature -- which is supposed to be at 98.6 °F; this means that a sick person’s goal should be to restore their natural body temperature to normal. When a person has a fever their body temperature is hotter than normal. Conversely, when a person has the common cold their body temperature is colder than normal.

You may have heard an expression “starve a fever; feed a cold.” If you have ever tried a starvation diet to lose weight you’d be familiar with its ineffectiveness; there are even some diets out there that encourage food intake which are more effective in promoting weight loss. When experts fail to understand which foods are healing and which are harmful they tend to believe theories such as starving a fever.

Interestingly enough doctors frequently prescribe drugs which are taken orally yet they tell you to wait a certain amount of time before eating food again. If food has nothing to do with medicine then what difference does it make if you eat food with it? Obviously it does have a lot to with medicine. Interestingly enough, if one mixed the prescribed drug with appropriate foods it would actually enhance the drug’s effect and the same goes for mixing drugs with drugs. There are many foods that would be safe to take with the prescribed medication yet doctors fear you may eat a food that will offset its effects or they don’t know which foods are safe to mix with it themselves. Many times a patient will end up taking more than one medication at once and the doctor will need to know if they mix or not. Well, believe it or not, the cure for the common cold and fever have been right under our noses in our household all along.

Chinese Herbal Medicine focuses on keeping the body in balance. They use herbal combinations to target and balance various parts of the body. One doesn’t need to limit their food to Chinese herbs. All food have a effect on body temperature. A yin food is one which is more cooling than warming to the body. A cantaloupe or banana would be among the more cooler foods while an apple or carrot would be part of the list of less cool ones. A yang food is one which is more warming than cooling to the body. A piece of meat or cheese would be among the more warming foods while bell peppers and chicken would be among the list of less warm ones. When one gets a fever they should eat yin foods to cool their body down. Conversely, when one gets a cold they should eat yang foods to warm their body up. For a list of foods, try searching google.com for yin foods or yang foods respectively.

It should also be noted how cold-blooded animals like reptiles fail to adapt to climates as well as humans do since their body temperatures are directly effected by its climate and their bodies fail to adjust to them. Humans on the other hand maintain a constant body temperature of 98.6 °F yet even human body temperature is subject to change in extreme climates. It should be noted the extra work the human body needs to do in order to maintain a constant temperature even in less extreme climates. When one has a fever don’t make your body work harder in order to cool itself down instead find yourself a cooler room than usual. Conversely, when one has a cold find yourself a slightly warmer room. Before engaging in exercise one usually does a warm up in order to raise the body temperature. By exercising one keeps their body temperature up. Food intake naturally gives a person more energy to exercise hence “feed a cold”. Water is also damp and by exercising one sweats it out and warms the body. When a person has a cold, you usually want to avoid exercise and instead engage in additional sleep and drink lots of water. Simply-put the “starve a fever” logic is flawed.
    It would better read “drown a fever”.

Happy sickness!

Behold the list I have so far generated.
    YIN FOODS (foods that cool the body down)
    Alcohol
    Ale
    Alfalfa sprouts
    Apple
    Apricot
    Asian pear
    Asparagus
    Bamboo
    Bamboo shoots
    Banana
    Barley, pearl
    Bean curd
    Bean sprouts
    Beer
    Boiled foods
    Bok choy
    Broccoli
    Burdock root
    Cabbage
    Cantaloupe
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Chicken eggs
    Chilled tofu
    Chinese cabbage
    Chinese cucumbers
    Chrysanthemum tea
    Clam
    Coffee
    Crab
    Cucumber
    Daikon radish
    Dandelion
    Dandelion greens
    Duck
    Eggplant
    Eggs, chicken
    Endive
    Fruit juices
    Green tea
    Honey
    Honeydew
    Lotus root
    Melons
    Milk
    Millet
    Most greens
    Most white foods
    Oil
    Pearl barley
    Pears
    Peppermint
    Pork
    Potatoes
    Pumpkin
    Refined sugars
    Romaine lettuce
    Seaweed
    Soy bean sprouts
    Soybeans
    Spices
    Spinach
    Squash
    Stimulants
    Sugar
    Tea
    Tofu
    Tropical vegetables and fruits
    Turnip
    Watecress
    Water
    Water chestnut
    Watercress
    Watermelon
    Wheat
    Winter squash
    Zucchini

YANG FOODS (foods that warm the body up)
    Bamboo
    Beef
    Broiled meat
    Catfish
    Cheese
    Cherry
    Chicken
    Chili pepper
    Deep fried food
    Dried meat
    Eggplant
    Eggs
    Fish
    Fried and fatty foods
    Garlic
    Ginger
    Glutinous rice
    Green peppers
    Hot spicy foods
    Leeks
    Lychee
    Mango
    Meat
    Mushrooms
    Onions
    Peanuts
    Persimmons
    Pineapple
    Pork liver
    Poultry
    Red foods (peppers, tomatoes etc)
    Salt
    Seafood
    Sesame oil
    Shellfish
    Sour foods
    Tangerines
    Vinegar
    Wine
    Last edited by Ultimater; 07-04-2007 at 04:01 PM.

Give second chances. I JUST thought of that.

Never drink orange juce after you have brushed your teeth

Web Standards Make Sense!

Hmm, I just thought of something else....

Don't move in to a house you're building unless it's COMPLETELY finished and has EVERYTHING you'll ever want in it.

That's the mistake that my parents made. Our house still needs a deck to be built, six ceiling fans to be put up (now there are just "naked' light bulbs hanging out of the ceilings), a sink in the upstairs bathroom, and more light fixtures outside. Now it needs to be painted DESPERATELY. On the outside and on the inside. The siding outside is wood; it's getting black and ugly. It'll probably rot. It really needs to be stained. And the house has seen fifteen years of this (Just a little more than my entire life time)... isn't it time to have it finished?

My mom wanted just two things: Central air and a fireplace. And we have neither. My mom and I are trying to convince my dad for central air, but the fireplace is never going to happen.

Never get upset at someones lack of PC, they don't have the same intellect as yourself so don't lower yourself...

Don't get mad at what small children do - you used to do the same thing.
    <? Damn Browser Incompatibilities ?>
    Dell 1505~2.0 Core Duo~1 gig DDR2-533~ Radeon x1400(256mb)~ Hitachi 100gb 7200rpm
    <? Go Blue. ?>

Compliments, if phrased poorly, can backfire unexpectedly.
    "You look pretty today"
    "What!? And yesterday I DIDN'T!?"

If she looks more pretty today than yesterday to you because of her outfit, then phrase your compliment likewise.

Quote Originally Posted by the fonejacker
    Never get upset at someones lack of PC, they don't have the same intellect as yourself so don't lower yourself...
    If you're tempted to get upset at someone's lack of a PC, there's something wrong with your mindset in the first place. Remind yourself daily that most people don't have computers or telephones, yet they are still probably better than you at something.
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

I heard this on some program years ago: Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way, when you do judge him, you're a mile away and have his shoes.
    css/xhtml firefox dsl ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimater
    When trouble comes, bring a friend.
    When trouble comes, blame a friend!
    FYI
    * My screen resolution is set at 1680x1050
    * I'm accessing your site through a T1 line
    * I'm probably viewing it using Firefox (unless browser is specified)

As in water face reflects face, So the heart of man reflects man.(Proverbs 27:19)
    Water doesn't have its own color since it is relative to the surroundings it reflects; so too the hearts of man.
    The above is generally explained in terms of love or anger.
    Both initiate with a spark and give birth to a continuous loop.
    A quarrel goes on as long as the complainer can complain but love is different since it goes on endlessly unless someone has reason to dump the other.
    However even after a quarrel ends, hatred still remains in the heart just like love remains in the heart.
    Interestingly enough, love can help someone get over hatred and hatred can help someone get over love.
    I guess love is best defined as the opposite of hated.
    Last edited by Ultimater; 08-09-2007 at 01:19 PM.

Hatred isn't the outcome of a quarrel but rather the cause of it.
    How does one come to hatred?
    Failure to understand engenders hatred.

Fear of failure prevents one from accomplishing.
    If you want to accomplish, embrace the drawbacks of your life's goals.
    Last edited by Ultimater; 12-14-2007 at 05:35 PM.

Thread Information