www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: personalized browser bar icon

personalized browser bar icon

For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the little personalized browser bar icons, like the yellow "WD" at the top of this page in the browser bar to the left of the URL. Could someone please help me out?

Also, do you know how to get one?

Thank you!

That is called a "favorite icon" or "favicon". It is a special little graphic image that is something like 16px by 16px, and you place it on your site with a link before the </head> tag.

Some hosts (the 'free hosts') won't let you place an 'favicon' on your site because it violate some idea of you 'promoting your site'. They permit if you BUY a hosting, but the FREE ones won't let you. (e.g., geocities, yahoo, etc).

There is a program I think on either DynamicDrive or MajorGeeks that helps you create a favicon. Basically, it's a *gif file but has the extention of *ico after it.

It is fairly easy to do. I created several sites that wanted this, ans since the site was on a pay-for-hosting site, the favicon was permitted.
    They're kewl because not only to they 'brand' your site, but when you/anyone bookmarks your site, they get the same little favicon along with the name of the bookmark! -Very neat!

Do a Search on Google for 'favicon maker' or something similar...

-Joel
    Last edited by WebJoel; 03-06-2006 at 07:52 PM.

Joel,

Thank you so much!!

Jan

Thread Information