I'm having a problem that seems to be quite common, but none of the solutions commonly presented do anything for me, so I'm going to try here.

I've installed MySQL 5.0.18, on an XP Pro SP1 machine, and have been using PHP 4.3.11 for some time without problems.

I can access and manipulate data using MySQL Adinistrator, and have installed a dump of my production schema from my hosted server, using the same schema name on my local machine, the intent being to develope against a copy of my production database. The data appears to be complete and intact.

I've more or less duplicated the connect string that I use on the hosted server;
Code:
$dbh=mysql_connect ("127.0.0.1", "user", "password") 
or die ('I cannot connect to the database because: ' . mysql_error());
This is what I get when I connect:
Code:
Warning: mysql_connect(): Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; 
consider upgrading MySQL client in D:\HTML\D7040\includes\connect-string.inc.php on line 11
I cannot connect to the database because: Client does not support
 authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client
Everything I can find through Google talks about 'Upgrade all client programs to use a 4.1.1 or newer client library.' Just what is a client in this context? - it doesn't seem like we're talking about a web browser or scripting language like PHP.

I've tried the 'old password' fix mentioned in many places, yet when I enter the command exactly as it is shown in http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/old-client.html I get a syntax error;
Code:
mysql> UPDATE mysql.user SET Password = OLD PASSWORD('password') WHERE Host = 'l
ocalhost' AND User = 'username';
ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that
corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'PASSW
ORD('password') WHERE Host = 'localhost' AND User = 'username'' at line 1
I thought I was pretty careful following the instructions, and since I'm using pretty recent versions of everything, I'm more than a little frustrated that it's not working for me.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Manu thanks,

Rob