www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: user logins on websites

user logins on websites

a mate of mine is making a website for his cousin in html i think, and asked me if i knew how to make a login system for it. i said that it would take more than html to do, but i dont know any more than that.

i was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas or point me in the right direction.

much obliged
    If its not HTML, im a n00b.

Hey, there are many different ways you could do a login but each of them require a server-side language. These being php, asp, jsp and others, again with that would require a database program like MySQL, SQL, etc. Each server-side works well with a specific database usually, and php works with with MySQL. If you arent interested to learn a server-side you could check out http://www.hotscripts.com and see if there are any scripts that interest you, but if you are Google is your friend. as well as this site does have server-side sections where you can ask questions.
    Welsh

cheers mate, ill pass it on to him and see what he says

Server side scripting is only required for user initiated functions like password changes. You can protect a site with Basic Authentication against an id/password list maintained manually by the site owner.
    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." Brian W. Kernighan

how would you go about doing that?

im not sure he wants to manually add members and passwords etc, but ill ask him about it as well

Basic Auth can run against an id/password file. The format depends on the server. Apache uses something like

mylogin:mypass

but 'mypass' will be encrypted. Apache comes with a utility for manipulating password files.
    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." Brian W. Kernighan

Thread Information