www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Remove background in PSP 6

Unhappy Remove background in PSP 6

I used PSP 6 and want to remove a background from a digital photo.

Whats the easy way, I'am a rookie, please give me a good explanation.

Thanks.

Sorry for my english, I'am from Belgium and my English is not so good.

cyango,

This is difficult. You use the Magic Wand tool. (It looks like a stick with a ball in the top left. It is the second tool down the toolbar on the right.) Now click on one part of the picture you want to delete. Hold down the "Shift" key, move the mouse cursor to another part of the picture you want to remove, and click again. Keep clicking until you have selected everything you want to delete. Then press the "Delete" key.

It works much better if the part you want to delete is the same color or similar colors.

Jason

Paint Shop Pro 8 has a brilliant tool for this. You can download an evaluation version from www.jasc.com . It's called a background eraser, and it adjusts automatically to balance the contrast. You can change the brush size to change how it calculates the contrast etc.

It might be a better option for you, particularly if you have a number of photos to edit.

dave

Originally posted by DaveSW
    Paint Shop Pro 8 has a brilliant tool for this. You can download an evaluation version from www.jasc.com . It's called a background eraser, and it adjusts automatically to balance the contrast. You can change the brush size to change how it calculates the contrast etc.

It might be a better option for you, particularly if you have a number of photos to edit.

dave
    Thanks for your Reply but I just buyed the PSP 7 here.
    In Belgium we don't have version 8 (not yet)

And yes i have a lot of photos to do.

I downloaded the beta of version 8 - I haven't actually purchased it. I havent seen it for sale in the UK either. My version just doesn't appear to have a 30day limit on it... Which is just too bad LOL. Still, one day when I'm rich I might buy the upgrade LOL!

Another trick I used to use was a white paintbrush with the 'hardness' set to 50. You can then paint out unwanted elements leaving a blurry edge around what you want.

Dave
    Last edited by DaveSW; 05-20-2003 at 12:19 PM.

[B]Paint Shop Pro 8 has a brilliant tool for this. You can download an evaluation version from www.jasc.com .
    It's called a background eraser, and it adjusts automatically to balance the contrast. You can change the brush size to change how it calculates the contrast etc.
    photoshop6 also has a background eraser that works the same way.

It's called a background eraser, and it adjusts automatically to balance the contrast. You can change the brush size to change how it calculates the contrast etc.
    Photoshop6 also has a background eraser that works the same way. It's on the toolbar in the eraser tab. Just hold down the mouse button when you click on the eraser and the other eraser types will be revealed including the magic eraser which is also good for taking out backgrounds. Also, try the extraction method. Look in the IMAGE menu. The program has several ways of knocking out a background depending on the situation. You just have to do a little research.

Thanks for all your good advice !

Now I try all this solutions.

I thought "PSP 6" meant jasc paint shop pro 6 not adobe photoshop 6? Isn't the cost a little prohibitive on photoshop?

Cal (Yes, Silicon Valley, but don't hold it against me.)
    All incorrect....

First, make sure your image is a layer, and not a background.

Go to Image > Extract

Zoom in a bit on the picture.

Select a brush size that will let you easily trace the image that you want to keep. (Smaller the brush the better)

Trace the image as best as possible.

Use the paint bucket tool to click inside the outline you just made.

Click OK.

Then use the the eraser tool and the history brush to touch up some of the jagged edges.

http://www.bobx3.com/PS-extract-example.jpg

Originally posted by JackTheTripper
    All incorrect....
    Why would DaveSW's suggestion of using the automatic background remover in PSP8 be wrong? I've personally used it, as well, and it works great. Seems like it is just a matter of preference not right and wrong... Plus, I'd have to think that using a background remove brush would be easier than doing it manually...

Cal (Yes, Silicon Valley, but don't hold it against me.)
    Was a joke. Sorry.

Was not referring to PSP8, only the photoshop portions of this thread as that is what the question was referencing.

I will try to keep my humor to a minimum on this board as it seems it is not taken well.

Humor is fine, just making sure you wern't seriously saying that using a tool made for removing a background was not the way to do it...

Thread Information