www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PowerBook Running Slow ... any advice?

PowerBook Running Slow ... any advice?

I've had my PowerBook for more then 3 years, and for the first time it's taking a long time to start up as well as switching between programs (only large programs, not browsers or chat programs). Specifically, when I have photoshop, dreamweaver and flash open it will lag between programs. Also - it's take awhile shutting down. I've gone into BASH and cleaned out my reg and cache files - not making a noticiable differance. My next step is to PC it and wipe it clean. Any sujestions before I do that?

Thanks in advance!

Also, if you have something smartass to say about Mac's in general, just keep it to yourself - hater :P
    function Sta12s(){
    var userPeer;

if (userPeer == "eLeetist" || userPeer == "snob")
    {return loser};
    else {return buddy};
    }

*cough*macs suck*cough*
    but moving on, can you run a defrag with mac's? if you can try that, also run a addware/spyway removal tool as well as a virus scan and see if any of that helps.
    Welsh

OMFG - didn't I say keep it to yourself?

Mac's don't NEED to be defraged liked PC's
    MAC's don't get viruses - the first one in 10 YEARS just recently came out. And unless you're stupid you didn't get it

I was a PC person until getting sick of Defrag's, sweeps, installing new hardware that conflicted with everything in the box, nothing working right, blue screens, yada yada yada ... I have NEVER had to fix my MAC in the 3 years I've had it!! LOL - it just runs a lil slow swtiching between programs ...

Anyhoos, any real advice?

:P
    function Sta12s(){
    var userPeer;

{return loser};
    else {return buddy};
    }

-Try getting rid of any background programs you don't need.

-Check your ram usage. Unless you have a ton of it, it'll probably be swapping to disk a bunch. Clear disk space, get a faster hard drive, buy more ram, etc.

-There could be dust in the case making short circuits. (I've seen computers that had dust bunnies almost the size of golf balls.)

I don't have a mac, so these are just general suggestions. Please don't kill me if they don't make sense.

LOL

Welsh and I are just sparing buddies, I guess you could say we like to get on each other nerves

That makes a lot of sense about the dust. I make a constant effort to delete things I don't use - but I'll do another run through and see if that might help.

I also have a gig of ram, so I don't think that is it - I think Flash 8 and Dreamweaver 8 are just huge programs, that's probably my problem

Many thanks goher!!! I like that name! Any referance to 1991?
    function Sta12s(){
    var userPeer;

{return loser};
    else {return buddy};
    }

Gopher,

I just checked my ram and it's @

454 M Active
    104 M Wired
    450 M Inactive and
    14 M free

Time to update hu??

Thanks in advance
    function Sta12s(){
    var userPeer;

{return loser};
    else {return buddy};
    }

If "Inactive" means unused, then it should be fine. If it doesn't, then upgrading your ram would probably give some kind of a performance boost; though I'm not sure how much.

And I did pick gopher292 as a pseudonym when looking up info about the ancient gopher:// protocol. (Though I could barely talk back when they actually used it, lol)

You can actually browser some of gopherspace through these sites:
    http://gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/
    http://gopher.quux.org/

LOL - Well, I guess you're a lot younger then me - I started programming back in those "gopher days"

OMG - I just realized I'm ancient - HAHAHAHAHAHA

Take care Kid-o

-Sta12s
    function Sta12s(){
    var userPeer;

{return loser};
    else {return buddy};
    }

Do you quit out of programs, or just leave them running? What OS are you using? If you upgraded to OSX Tiger, you might need more ram. I'm serious, OSX in general is a total ram hog, I noticed when I upgraded to Tiger major slow downs. When I increased my ram everything got much better.

That makes a lot of sense - Once I loaded Tiger there was a prob starting up and shutting down (besides the dashboard taking forever to load). I thought it was just Dreamweaver and flash with photoshop in the BG slowing it down.

I have;
    OSX Tiger
    1 gig ram
    Nothing running in the BG besides dashboard and printer apps
    Also I leave my programs on overnight a lot - I just rather pick up where I left off then shut everything down (bad habit).

I was thinking of just upgrading to the new intels (2nd generation) but if I can save this machine I'd rather save the money.

Thanks for the info Neczy!!
    function Sta12s(){
    var userPeer;

{return loser};
    else {return buddy};
    }

i dont hate macs, just joking and i was just throwing out ideas, also is there a way you can find out what programs are starting up in the background and be able to disable them? because im not sure with mac but with windows you can disable start up programs.
    Welsh

try
    http://fly.to/infosoft
    or
    http://www.mkd.cc/sox/

Though have not tried them personally as of yet

Quote Originally Posted by sta12s
    OMFG - didn't I say keep it to yourself?

Mac's don't NEED to be defraged liked PC's
    MAC's don't get viruses - the first one in 10 YEARS just recently came out. And unless you're stupid you didn't get it

I was a PC person until getting sick of Defrag's, sweeps, installing new hardware that conflicted with everything in the box, nothing working right, blue screens, yada yada yada ... I have NEVER had to fix my MAC in the 3 years I've had it!! LOL - it just runs a lil slow swtiching between programs ...

Anyhoos, any real advice?
    Also, if you have something smartass to say about Mac's in general, just keep it to yourself - hater :P
    :P
    O yay i like being a smart arse
    <rant>Mac users are soooo Gulable Mac virus's are VERY easy to make a Virus and if a Virus is on a mac it is the pain in the arse to remove... there are
    many Virus's for mac and I don't want 2 hear that phase any more </rant>
    U may have 2 upgrade ur Ram yet it looks dodgy I don't know anything about the Demandingness of macs but 1gb should be ok on most PCs...
    BTW i don't have anything against macs apart from the amount of times it crashes and the USB key that broke after i used it on a Mac.
    Download Spybot from www.safer-networking.org to get the ultimate in free spyware removal.

FLAMING IS NOT TOLERATED IN THIS FORUM
    Dont Worry Most people have posted in this site and gone on to lead perfectly normal lifes

lol

Thanks for the "information"

And I like the "Mac Users are so Gulable" - hehehehehehe

Keep up the good work smart ass lol

-Sta12s
    function Sta12s(){
    var userPeer;

{return loser};
    else {return buddy};
    }

a powerbook running slow, ironic isnt it?
    Welsh

Thread Information