www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: What do people do...

What do people do...

Im just after some info,

I am a home user after some info regarding serverside databases, my hosting company only offers a database on their premium package.

Does everyone here who uses hosting packages pay the premium rates, or is there other option such as hosting your own database and pointing the site at that.

Sounds daft but is there another option when needing to store info for things such as blogs/diaries/uploaded info???

I know its vaque, sorry.

Thanks for your help.

Trev

I guess it partly depends on what you define as "premium". The hosting company I use includes MySQL in their basic package. As to whether you consider that package to be "premium" or not is subjective, I guess.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

I suppose your right,

my hosting has 3 levels

Home User - 3.99
    Developer - 7.99
    Business - 15.99

The only package that offers sql is the business and for a personal website, i don't think that price justifies (for me) using sql just for a blog etc, oh and what is mysql compared to the usual sql.

Im really just after a cheaper alternative (if there is one).

What do you think???

Thanks

Trev

Mine includes MySQL (along with PHP and Perl) at the US$7.95 rate, which is just a bit more than your "home user" rate (about 4.61 by my calculations).
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

eBookworm.us

So it seems my only option is to either move hosting or pay more???

Oh well.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by ts01
    So it seems my only option is to either move hosting or pay more???

Oh well.

Thanks for the info.
    It's theoretically possible to host the database somewhere else, if that host allows remote connections to the database. However, that would increase security risks, plus it would decrease performance as queries and results would now have to travel across the internet. So you'd have to weigh those negatives against the bother of changing hosts or the cost of upgrading your current hosting plan.

eBookworm.us

Thread Information