www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: FrontPage upload/ownership issue

Hybrid View

FrontPage upload/ownership issue

I'm not even sure how to characterize this. I have two different users who develop their own web sites for our company intranet, using FrontPage. One person uses FrontPage to upload her site files. The other uses FrontPage to build the site, then uploads using an FTP tool. There are some weird things going on that appear to be related to the user who uploads using FrontPage.

Sometimes, when she uploads, the other fellow experiences problems accessing his files. It's like he loses permissions to some of themthem, although the Linux level permissions have not changed. If he deletes and re-uploads the entire site, he's okay. Or, if he has me, as root, remove the _vti_cnf folder, he can work okay.

Secondly, the other day the user using FrontPage, upon trying to upload files, received a notification that a certain file, which is part of the other user's site, existed on the server but not on her local drive and did she want to remove it from the server.

It's almost like her FrontPage has taken some kind of ownership of all FrontPage sites on the server. Does that make sense? Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any suggestions on how to prevent this?

We're running a RH 8.something server. It does not have FrontPage extensions on it (don't know if that's significant or not).

I've seen something like this happen in my own shop here... the client has the ablity to make changes to the site, mainly small changes that they don't want to bother me with... However they leave changing images and adding pages or modifying links is all my job.

So anyways I've had a time or 2 where I had no idea changes were made I did what I needed and overwrote everything they had done.

SO now who's fault is that... The programs, the clients or mine

I doubt that FP is the problem here... by some sort of evil intent. However it sounds like you need to standardize a policy for the ongoing care of this website. it may be that everyone follows the same steps to create, edit and upload files. Sounds like create & edit are under the same app, you've got that easy...

However the upload issue is going to be more difficult. IF it's the user uploading with FP that is causing the site to break then I think it's an easy choice to make them move to the FTP app method ws_ftp_le is a great simple ftp program both could learn and use with ease.

BUT if it's the ftp'er thats causing the issue... hopefully moving both to using FP to upload files will correct your problems.

In either case both need to ensure they have current files, Locally, and are able to cross reference dates of modified pages.
    Compguy Pete
    The Benevolent Administrator

No child should have to deal with a Brain Stem Tumor...
    http://www.OneAna.com

Appreciate the response. My own first step was to ask the fellow using the FTP client to upload to try using FP instead. Just to see what happens. If that doesn't help, I'm going to go the other way and ask the other user to start uploading with FTP. I sure hope one of those resolves things.

My real worry was that the absence of the FP extensions was going to be a problem.

Even if you have a linux host there is the ability to ad FP extensions is there. Is this soemthing you would like to add?
    Compguy Pete
    The Benevolent Administrator

No child should have to deal with a Brain Stem Tumor...
    http://www.OneAna.com

Oh, yes, FP extensions can be put on the box. In fact, one of these FP users has asked for it. However, I'm not the administrator of the server, so I can't do it myself. I've passed it on to the fellow who is, but it's not a high priority for him.

Thread Information