www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: hi folks - two questions for Dreamweaver

hi folks - two questions for Dreamweaver

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I need to accomplish two things, and was wondering if anyone had some tips or a quick URL that could solve the problem:

1. The page I am working on is gonig to have a ton of links. However, I need the basic menu links I created to stay at one color once visited, and Ineed the rest of the links in the body of the page to go to another color after being visited. How can I pull this off? The menu links I created are not a navigation bar, just some very simple links I typed in.

2. On this same page, I need to create a thin black border on the bottom and sides, but not the top. Also, I only want to have the think black border on about 2/3rds of the sides , leaving the menu and banner top of the page free of the thin black border....it would look something like this:

http://www.nps.gov/glac/

(except I would have a thin black border at the bottom instead of a green bar.)

Notice that the top banner and photo do not have the top bar, which preserves the film like quality at the top. This is what I am after. Thanks for any time taken.

You will have to know CSS.

For the border,
    Code:
    .container {
    border-left: 1px solid #000000;
    border-right: 1px solid #000000;
    border-bottom: 1px solid #000000;
    }

.banner {
    border-bottom: 3px solid #000000;
    }

Now save this as style.css and link it to your site by doing TEXT > CSS Styles > Attach Style Sheet
    You will need to add class="container" to the table (or div) that is holding all of your stuff, the first one. Then add class="banner" to the table (or div) in which your banner is located.

For the links,
    Code:
    a.menu:link {
        color: blue;
    }

a.menu:visited {
    }

a.menu:hover {
        color: white;
    }

a:link {
    }

a:visited {
        color: red;
    }

a:hover {
        color: white;
    }

Add this code to your style.css page.
    Now add class="menu" for the links you want to have the same color, even when visited. And all the other links without class="menu" will have a color different from the original links when visited.
    Last edited by BOB101; 03-14-2006 at 02:02 PM.
    Visit my site in the making.

Please give suggestions.

Thanks a million, Bob. So I just add that code into a custom css style?

Yes.

Please give suggestions.

By the way, I like your site. Very sharp.

Thanks, right now I'm working on the membership. I would be finished with it but for some reason login user selection, I can't find. Usually I type php code but I instead tried DreamWeaver's php (which is good, but needs some editing by hand) and I can't find where I can login users.

Please give suggestions.

Sounds like a pain in the rear end. It still looks cool though. And the different aspects of the page are well defined.

Also, one quick question - do you know how to get rid of spaces between layout tables? I cant seem to get two to properly meet so I can get this vertical think black line look I like:

http://www.nps.gov/glac/

Instead I get what looks like two boxes rather than seamless integration.

HTML Code:
    <table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
      <tr>
        <td>Content goes here</td>
      </tr>
    </table>
    Last edited by BOB101; 03-14-2006 at 04:15 PM.

Please give suggestions.

Thx Bob. I think the error was clearly on my end. I had the code you did, but couldn't get a non space. The problem was with my original banner/menu layout table. The table was originally around 2000 pixels high, and I made it smaller by dragging the bottom of it up, and I don't think it was as as even as it should have been with my banner/menu area. I just put in a height value less than my banner/menu content, and DW automatically resized that layout table properly. When I installed the new layout table, it fit snugly against the first, becoming more seamless. I guess I will need to follow your CSS instructions to knock off that top border on layout table 2...

Thread Information