www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Scripting Language and Architecture Advice

Scripting Language and Architecture Question

Hello all,

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to forms scripting languages, and since I don't know the strengths and deficiencies of each programming language, I really don't know where to start.

My problem is as follows:
    - I need an online form database to store character sheets for a game I will be hosting. (If anyone knows the White Wolf RPG system, you know exactly what I'm trying to make, here.)
    - Forms will be completed primarily by selecting stat values from 1-5. The stats will then be displayed on a page using a number of filled bullets depicting the input value (hollow bullets making up the remainder to a total of 5 for each stat)
    - Though editing of these forms should be restricted to admins and their creators, the completed forms should be visible and searchable to all users. (optional) That is, unless the user wishes his form to be private, and hidden to everyone but himself and admins.
    - Depending on the class of character the user selects at the top of the form, certain sections all over the form willl change.
    - Users should be able to view a list of all their completed forms when logged in.

What I need to know is:
    - What scripting language is best suited for this type of problem?
    - Should I use a central database file, or should the form generate individual files for each completed form?
    - I'm not a purist when it comes to this (as I'm doing this for fun, and have little spare time) so I'm not above using wizards, utilities or engines to help generate my scripts. Can anyone recommend a free one?
    - Failing that, what aspects of the code should I study first? (the form, the database, or the user login system, etc)
    Last edited by Vergeh; 03-16-2006 at 10:59 PM.

Thread Information