www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: ?!?! DBA Salaries--Interesting

?!?! DBA Salaries--Interesting

DB2 ($73,500), Sybase ($72,900), Oracle ($72,500), SQL Server ($69,100), and finally MySQL ($67,800).
    http://www.dbazine.com/blogs/blog-cm...-10.1522825688

How does this work out? How does a MySQL DBA earn almost as much as an Oracle DBA? Oracle is for large enterprise, and MySQL is...open source. :|

"Everything in a web browser."

Supply and demand?

Once a company purchases their Oracle license(s) and maintenance contract, they don't have any money left for salaries?

The survey's sampling is not big enough and/or scientific enough?

Companies following an open-source paradigm have higher profit margins?

None of the above?

All of the above?

I have no idea what I'm talking about?
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

I find these results questionable at best... I know that Data Architects make a very large amount, and if so then they make much higher than some DBA's that I know. Also, if you look at the payscale and yearly growth rate, it could take 2-3 years for a MySQL DBA to move from 67,800 to 72,500.
    Acceptable Use | SQL Forum FAQ | celery is tasteless | twitter

celery is tasteless - currently needing some UI time

Would you say that going for 67800 to 72500 a big leap within 2-3 years?

Perhaps NogDog is correct--supply and demand is playing a huge part in the salaries of MySQL DBA's--Apparently, an Oracle license costs $40,000 USD per processor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_database --> "Pricing" subheader.

"Everything in a web browser."

Which oracle license? They come in 5 varieties. The highest one was about $35kUSD, per processor. But no one pays the full price. Most places receive heavy discounts off the top based on quantity purchased, so suddenly your $35-40k license is now $15-20k. In my last company, we found we didn't need most of what enterprise edition offered in a lot of the systems so they downgraded to se1, I think. The biggest issue I see is that a lot of small businesses get suckered into buying EE licenses when all they need is SE1. Sure it has a 4 cpu max, but I haven't seen any small businesses buying anything bigger than 4 cpu's anyways.

Edit: Also, here's the biggest difference. With Oracle (like MySQL), you can download and install an unlicensed copy on your systems, for proof of concept or the like, I personally wouldn't see the need to do this (especially w/ Oracle XE). They just won't support you (thus making this unfit for any development/qa or production database).

No, I wouldn't say that $67,800 to $72,500 is a big leap, it's merely cost of living increases, because you know, IT people don't get paid much more for better performance.

Then again, none of this can include bonuses.
    Last edited by chazzy; 03-18-2006 at 10:08 AM.
    Acceptable Use | SQL Forum FAQ | celery is tasteless | twitter

celery is tasteless - currently needing some UI time

Thread Information