www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How to design a text based webgame?

Thumbs down How to design a text based webgame?

Im interested in a creating a online textbased game, but have no idea what I'd need to do it, anyone know what ill need to learn, and what programs and stuff i need? anyone know?

hey, im doing the same and it isnt easy at all, there are so many things to consider but dont let this take you down. You are going to need a server-side language and a database. This cant be done with html, javascript or etc. You need to first figure out what language you are using and then use the database that goes well with the language, i am using php with a mysql database and that works fine. my biggest suggestion for you is to plan it out carefully, i have like a 13 page report about my site with information about units, buildings etc on how everything is going to play out. There are many things to do but you need to first learn a serverside and know how to interact with the database, pick a serverside and post here and we can point you in the right direction.
    Welsh

Big wordies

Too many Big wordies lol... nah, few Q's whats a server-side?, and do u have msn

a serverside language is something like php,asp,java and others. They interact with a database program like mysql or sql which has information in it. For a text based webgame you are going to need these, are you planning on building it like utopia, earth 2025 or Darkthrone where you control a nation or you have a single character. If you are going to have any hope of doing a game like this a server-side is essential for the game to be dynamic and interactive with the user.
    Welsh

single char i guess, battle/kill stuff training, leveling up stats etc..
    I am The Fr0zen.Lord
    I Reign Over The Darkside Of The Moon
    Where It Is Cold Beyond Death
    Fear Me... Fear Death... Fear The Fr0zen.Lord...

ok, so your doing single character with levels, what you need to figure out now is what are going to determine the levels. are you going to attack different people and such? go into microsoft word and get your ideas down and start linking them together and find out what you need to do, what stats, what weppens and such you are going to create so you can start planing out your game, then plan your database out so things flow together.
    Welsh

I have a little

I did in a text document... i wrote down my leveling things how the stats work, exp with leveling, and how you get exp from monsters etc...
    I am The Fr0zen.Lord

Im trying to download a apache server or a server that will work, but i dont know how to.. very confusing can yah help me out, also do u have to pay a host to host your site?, or do ujust make like a free website on yahoo
    I am The Fr0zen.Lord

Thread Information