/    Sign up×
Community /Pin to ProfileBookmark

Scrolling Marquee Tag

Does anyone know if there are plans to make the scrolling marquee tag standard in HTML 5? It was originally made to only work in Internet Explorer. However, all of the latest versions of Firefox, Opera, and Safari support it now. To me, it just seems like it might as well be made standard if it’s going to be supported by everything.

to post a comment
HTML

21 Comments(s)

Copy linkTweet thisAlerts:
@WebJoelApr 24.2008 — I think that scrolling text (not sure what it'll be called) is a proposal for CSS3...
@Joseph_WitchardauthorApr 24.2008 — Ah, all right. How soon is CSS3 coming? Is it years away from now?
@felgallApr 24.2008 — Scrolling text is a behaviour. It is expected to be properly implemented in browsers around the year 2000 or so using the correct method of applying behaviours to pages - JavaScript.

If the <marquee> tag had ever been anything other than a proprietary tag it would have been deprecated in 1997 since its use in HTML is completely incorrect.
@TJ111Apr 24.2008 — <marquee> is one of the unfortunate tags left over from the 90s era of web-design that modern browsers just support to keep everyone happy. It, along with 99.92% of animated gif's, just look tacky and make sites look unprofessional (in my opinion). The are lots of "prettier" way's to achieve the same effect, including javascript.

As felgall said, it is out of place in HTML. HTML is used to describe content on a page, CSS is used to describe how the content should look, and javascript is used to manipulate the content (and CSS).

There are several non-standard things left over from the IE era of the web that lot's of browsers support just for compatibility, I think its best we let those die out over time instead of implementing them as standards.
@Joseph_WitchardauthorApr 24.2008 — But even so, browsers other than IE are still coming to support them. If that's happening, it doesn't look like they're going to die out anytime soon.
@WebJoelApr 24.2008 — Ah, all right. How soon is CSS3 coming? Is it years away from now?[/quote]

From the W3C site:
We will probably want to introduce overflow-x and overflow-y in CSS3 to separate the policy in the two directions. In that case we may want:
[LIST]
  • [*][B]overflow-style-x:[/B] auto | [scrollbar | panner | move | [B]marquee[/B]] [, &#8230;]*

• [*]overflow-style-y ditto

• [*]overflow-policy-x: visible | hidden | scroll | auto

• [*]overflow-policy-y ditto

• [*]overflow-x: <overflow-style-x> || <overflow-policy-x>

• [*]overflow-y ditto

• [*]overflow: <overflow-x>
  • [/LIST]
    ....[/QUOTE]
    and this would (if the proposal is accepted and ever implemented) be the 'same' as "<marquee>", but it will be in CSS.

Some CSS3 is useable now... "overflow-x:[I]value[/I]" and "overflow-y:[I]value[/I];", for instance. And Firefox 2.x and Opera currently support the "border-radius" CSS for making 'curvy corners' in CSS-only.

Widespread acceptance of CSS3 id dependant upon the largest distributed browser, InternetExploder, to 'catch up' else, no...

CSS3 might be another 10 years coming (thank you MS for not even[I] fully supporting[/I] CSS[B]2[/B] yet and holding-back the entire web. M$..., -t[I]he same people that taught you to turn[/I] [U]OFF[/U] [I]your computer by clicking a button labled[/I] "[U]START[/U]").
    @Joseph_WitchardauthorApr 24.2008 — From the W3C site:

and this would (if the proposal is accepted and ever implemented) be the 'same' as "<marquee>", but it will be in CSS.

Some CSS3 is useable now... "overflow-x:[I]value[/I]" and "overflow-y:[I]value[/I];", for instance. And Firefox 2.x and Opera currently support the "border-radius" CSS for making 'curvy corners' in CSS-only.

Widespread acceptance of CSS3 id dependant upon the largest distributed browser, InternetExploder, to 'catch up' else, no...

CSS3 might be another 10 years coming (thank you MS for not even[I] fully supporting[/I] CSS[B]2[/B] yet and holding-back the entire web. M$..., -t[I]he same people that taught you to turn[/I] [U]OFF[/U] [I]your computer by clicking a button labled[/I] "[U]START[/U]").[/QUOTE]

I'm sensing some hostility towards one of my favorite companies:p

Haha, thanks WebJoel, that helped?
    @felgallApr 25.2008 — It is guaranteed that if a marquee standard is ever adopted that the one browser that will take at least 20 years to implement it is Internet Explorer.
    @WebJoelApr 25.2008 — And back to useability: -the marquee is sort~of [I]non-gratia [/I]but you know what? -In the advent of personal hand-held mini-computers, palm-devices & such, it might be neat to have lengthy text that 'scrolls', like a pager's text can do! Sports scores, stock market, etc. Instead of using your thumb to 'screw' a mousecog to 'scroll the text' a~la BLACKBERRY, selected text 'scrolls' automatically and you can speed-up, slow-down, pause etc. the feed, the flow of text... would be great for say, a wrist-mounted user-agent and reading the headline news....

That is probably what is in the minds of someone thinking of reviving the 'marquee-esque' behavior, some forward-looking useability like text-based "OnStar" for automobiles for the hearing-impaired, etc.

There will however, [I]never[/I] be a need for "<blink>" again, never ever [I]ever[/I]!! :eek:

And felfall is probably right re: 20-years... I said [I]ten years[/I] but I was being exceedingly generous with my praise for the quintessential M$ product..
    @Joseph_WitchardauthorApr 28.2008 — Haha. As much as I love Microsoft, I do admit that they've done horrible with Internet Explorer. I love Firefox?

However, the scrolling marquee element does work in all of the browsers I've tried, and it even works on my BlackBerry browser! Until I learn JavaScript (I'm mainly focusing on PHP at the moment), I'll stick with it I guess. I could search for a JavaScript to do the same thing online, but I like to hard code things myself as much as possible. I learn better that way.

Even though IE will take awhile to implement it (if it gets done at all), how big would you say the possibility of scrolling text in CSS3 is? Sorry; I'm still very new to this:o
    @WebJoelApr 28.2008 — How big a possibility? I'd lean towards [I]very likely[/I]. Whether web page builders will use it much is another matter. We sort of have to follow the wisdom of the crowds, -if the end-user doesn't like it, we won't use it. And "marquee-esque" behaviour isn't exactly anyone's favorite. It was a fad really, and a particularly annoying one. Unless I'm staring into a 1-inch square screen (like a wrist-watch device) or clutching a overhead hand-strap on a crowded city public transit bus whilst reading my Blackberry news, I'm probably [I]not[/I] going to want to see scrolling text. Otherwise, yeah, it could be a conveniance. Nicer still, would be the ability to click a block of text "view normal" and "view marquee scroll" behaviour... One might even have the ability to 'click/drag-&-highlight' blocks of text and then, choose to 'marquee it for me' ...([I]idea[/I]!)
    @RCPWOct 10.2008 — Hi Everyone,... Thanks for this thread and this thread is the reason why I joined this forums.

Post #7 after searching endlessly thru Google finally helped me to Hide the Scroll Bar on the right hand side or whatever it's called (It's Late Here,...) on the marquee but My Real Question Is This,...

How do you get rid of that Scroll Bar All Together?

When i insert it in to my website even tho it's hidden it won't center correctly and looks ****ed eyed.

I have the Scrolling Marquee placed on the left side of my page but here is what the beginning if the code looks like:

[CODE]
    <div style="padding: 0px; float:left; overflow: hidden; width: 140px; height: 62px;">
    <marquee scrollamount="1" direction="up" loop="true">
    [/CODE]

Could someone help me with this please?
    @RCPWOct 11.2008 — Man,.. that Scrollbar is Driving Me Nuts.

I know that the post of mine above actually says i posted it this morning but i actually wrote it lastnight but my wife woke me up and told me to go to bed because i fell a sleep while writing it lastnight so i actually didnt get the chance to finish it so i finished it this morning after i woke up.

This is how bad this scrollbar is getting to me,.. it's got to me something simple but i just can't see it. ?

Theres got to be a way to just not have that Scrollbar at all in the Marquee isnt there? I've seen other Marquees without them.

Can someone Please help me?

RCPW.
    @opifexOct 11.2008 — why not post the div in question along with any css it uses (put some fake text) so people can really see what you're talking about.

*you could be getting problems with the attributes - CSS3 has the <marquee> element and they aren't the same as the old MS definitions (not sure what the current browser support is between the new and old) --- <marquee>
    @RCPWOct 11.2008 — Never Mind,... I figured it out.

I found this site on the web: [URL]http://www.draac.com/marquee.html[/URL]

And started my Marquee all over again and now i got it to where i want it and working the way i want i to work.

Thanks anyway.

RCPW.

If your interested you can see my Scrolling Marquee on my site at www.rcpricewatch.com

Catch ya's later.
    @opifexOct 11.2008 — -> right column "marquee" has the scrollbar in Opera9 (only)
    @RCPWOct 12.2008 — -> right column "marquee" has the scrollbar in Opera9 (only)[/quote]

That Scrolling Marquee on the Right Side actually has a Scrollbar in Opera9?

Thats something it was never tested in as far as i remember. Hmm.

Is the one on the left lined up centered enough or enough so i don't have to mess with it any more? hehe

Thanks for your help Opifex

RCPW
    @donatelloOct 12.2008 — I hope not.

It's almost as annoying as the <blink> tag, which only works in FF.

Although I guess there are some instances where it could be ok..., it has just been so overused by amateur 'designers'.

Some things I will never miss:
    [LIST]
  • [*]<blink>

• [*]<marquee>

• [*]Popups

• [*]Popunders!

• [*]Those new browser windows that do not close (thank Google for cleaning that mess up!)

• [*]alert on mouseover

• [/LIST]
    @opifexOct 12.2008 — I hope not. ......
    [/QUOTE]

[I]very useful assistance from someone who has 3 page "signature" site that doesn't validate![/I]

-------------
    [B]

the left column scroll is ok.[/B]
    i didn't look at your code, but you probably missed something really simple.
    @donatelloOct 13.2008 — [I]very useful assistance from someone who has 3 page "signature" site that doesn't validate![/I]

-------------
    [B]

the left column scroll is ok.[/B]
    i didn't look at your code, but you probably missed something really simple.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for pointing that out.

It validates now.

Actually, I just slapped that together for my own personal use, and as I thought it would be useful for others on this forum, put it in my signature.

[B]3 pages?[/B]

It's a search engine. It does not need to do anything else.

By the way...

Google does not validate:

70 errors, 10 warnings

Yahoo! does not validate:

34 errors, 8 warnings

WebDeveloper (this site) does not validate:

420 errors, 170 warnings.
    @xvszeroOct 16.2008 — <marquee> is one of the unfortunate tags left over from the 90s era of web-design that modern browsers just support to keep everyone happy. It, along with 99.92% of animated gif's, just look tacky and make sites look unprofessional (in my opinion).[/QUOTE]

But sometimes you want a site to look unprofessional. I run a site for longtime web users / video gamers and they love all that cheesy nostalgia. Marquees, animated gifs, you name it.

Success!

Help @Joseph_Witchard spread the word by sharing this article on Twitter...

Tweet This
    Sign in
    Forgot password?
    Sign in with TwitchSign in with GithubCreate Account
    about: ({
    version: 0.1.9 BETA 5.6,
    whats_new: community page,
    up_next: more Davinci•003 tasks,
    coming_soon: events calendar,
    social: @webDeveloperHQ
    });

legal: ({