/    Sign up×
Community /Pin to ProfileBookmark

SQLEXPRESS SA default password

Hey guys,
just for fun I run installation of SQLEXPRESS.
To my surprise it went relatively painless. I can connect to it but only with windows authentication.:eek:
Does anyone know what default password for SA is, since it did not asked me to provide one during installation….?

to post a comment

27 Comments(s)

Copy linkTweet thisAlerts:
@NogDogJun 08.2012 — Maybe no password?
@alexstsauthorJun 08.2012 — nope.

As far as I know Microsoft fixed that bug back in 2005. You can not use blank as password unless you unchecked couple boxes in settings.
@svidgenJun 08.2012 — I think you can just change it. Log in (using windows auth), expand Security / Logins, right click the [B]sa[/B] user, and just enter a new password.
@svidgenJun 08.2012 — That said, you shouldn't ever need to use the sa account. You should really just create an account for each or application or "function" that needs access. OR, if all the apps run locally, use [I]Trusted_Connection=True;[/I] in the connection string and give the appropriate privileges the account (the IIS user, for instance) that runs the application.
@alexstsauthorJun 08.2012 — Stickman,

do you think I would post question here if SQLEXPRESS allowed me to just change password or even create new user?:rolleyes:

Eat some meat to calm your anger...?

That is the reason why I want to connect to it as SA. So I could create new user and go on from there.?

Basically right now I have database where I can not do anything but just to connect to it using windows authentication and that is it. Read only access.
@svidgenJun 08.2012 — Stickman,

do you think I would post question here if SQLEXPRESS allowed me to just change password or even create new user?:rolleyes:

Eat some meat to calm your anger...?

That is the reason why I want to connect to it as SA. So I could create new user and go on from there.?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's precisely how you attract help in a forum ...

All I can say then is, [I]you're doing it wrong[/I]. Good luck.
@svidgenJun 08.2012 — Damn my better nature ...

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlgetstarted/thread/16706dec-209f-42c4-8dc7-4ee4dd5df482/

This little security issue is generally avoided during installation, at which point [I]windows auth[/I] should have been selected as the authentication mode, and at which point your user would have been granted full administrative access to to instance. In the even that you don't have admin access, the more appropriate question is really, "why don't i have admin access to my sql server instance?"

And to that I say, reinstall the software, and pay close attention to your initial configuration options. Use windows auth. And be sure to add your user as an admin when/if prompted to do so.
@alexstsauthorJun 08.2012 — That what was my choice during installation of the package.

SQL Express is a part of that package and I cannot remove it.

For me it is just a matter of curiosity about next Microsoft screw ups rather than necessity since I am using full version of SQL for all my projects...

So, [B]does anyone knows what is default SA password for SQLEXPRESS 2008[/B]
@alexstsauthorJun 08.2012 — and all suggestions how to change SA password fail right here:

1. Go to SQL Server Properties/Security tab and change the mode to SQL Server authentication mode

Produces error message: access denied; User not authorized to perform this action.
@svidgenJun 08.2012 — If you read the link, the prevalent belief is there, if you choose windows auth, the SA account isn't even enabled. If I recall, the one time I installed it w/ SQL auth, I was prompted to [B]pick[/B] the SA password.

This isn't the M$ screwup you think it is. It's user error.

And I find this hard, if not impossible, to believe:
SQL Express is a part of that package and I cannot remove it.[/QUOTE]

You should always have the option to remove it from the add/remove software pane in the control panel. If it's not there, you don't even have the software installed. If it was part of another software packed, it's likely that have the embedded version installed.
@alexstsauthorJun 08.2012 — .. the prevalent belief is ...[/QUOTE]
That is all what it is and it is not always based on actual software behavior.

And by the way if you did not notice original question was about SQLEXPRESS but most of the posting refer to straight SQL 2008 (R2) which is not exactly the same. Yes both using same engine but functionality and some of the other characteristics completely different.

Package also build by Ms, if I remove one it automatically kills entire package. I tried more than once already.

And on 3 different systems to make sure that I did not missed option to enable SA account.

So problem is not between chair and keyboard.?
@svidgenJun 08.2012 — Whelp. If I have time outside the office, I'll re-run the installation so I have concrete steps to give you. Maybe someone who has them committed to memory can chime in meanwhile ...
@svidgenJun 08.2012 — And by the way if you did not notice original question was about SQLEXPRESS but most of the posting refer to straight SQL 2008 (R2) which is not exactly the same.[/QUOTE]

The thread I linked pertained to "SQL Server 2008 R2 Express."

[B]ADDENDUM:[/B] And it should be noted, the only significant differences between the Express and edition and the "normal" editions are arbitrary memory, disk, and CPU core limitation. Just about everything else should function identically.
@alexstsauthorJun 08.2012 — ... should function identically.[/QUOTE]

Once again should off, would off, could off but in reality is not.

Thanks for your time and efforts.

See you in cyberspace.
@svidgenJun 08.2012 — I maintain: user error.

I've certainly never had an issue with it!
@alexstsauthorJun 08.2012 — ok, thanks.
@MaramorJun 08.2012 — First of all, depends on the way you selected the options.

As stated previously, if you selected windows authentication then "sa" is disabled. If you have mixed you still might have to enable the "sa" and "sa" can not be blank. There is no default password for "sa", if SQL express comes with a applications ask the applications support team.

You can put the SQL Server in single user mode and then any member of computer's local administrator can gain access to SQL server as sysadmin.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd207004.aspx

Try:

Go to SQL Server Properties/Security tab and change the mode to SQL Server authentication mode

Go to security/logins, open SA login properties

Uncheck "Enforce password policy" and "Enforce password expiration" check box there if you decide to use weak password

Assign password to SA user

If you get "Cannot set a credential for principal 'sa' . (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 15535)" then "Map To Credential" check box on the General tab of the Login Properties - sa dialog box.

If “User is not associated with a trusted sql server connection"

In SQL Server Management Studio, Right-click the Server name, select Properties > Security

Under Server Authentication, select SQL Server and Windows Authentication Mode

The server must be stopped and re-started before this will take effect.

Make sure the sa (at status tab of sa properties) is enabled after restart the server.

-Matt Stone

DBA
@alexstsauthorJun 09.2012 — Matt,

as I stated before- any attempt to change anything in SQL property end up same way - user not authorize to perform this action.

I going to reinstall entire package one more time (already did this 3 times) to see if I missed anything where I can setup password for SA or any user at all for database.:mad:

And if it is not there I am going to report this as a bug to Microsoft on MSDN.:rolleyes:
@svidgenJun 10.2012 — I'd be interested to know what particular package is giving you so much trouble.
@ThoughtExaminerSep 18.2012 — Alexsts, did you find a solution to this? I've experienced the same problem for the last month when trying multiple times to install DotNetNuke. It downloaded SQLExpress as part of the installation, then asks me for the password which I've not given. If you found the solution, please share. Thanks.
@MaramorSep 19.2012 — I explained how to gain access using single user mode or at least point you to the resources. Since this is part of installing a package you should talk with their support because they configure the user accounts. If you do get in with Single user mode, my post also points out where to look to make sure "sa" is configured, correctly. Althought your probably better off creating a new account as the "sa" user might be tied to the application and changing anything could break the app. Some SQL 2005 include the local admin's as a SQL Administrator so that is one thing to always try. You can also try logging in as the service account that is commonly used as a SQL Administrator assuming not local system or network service ?.

Just a FYI...

Now if you are having issues connecting you might have to do some digging to find out what the instance name and port settings are. I had one a month ago that was using Named Pipes which has a funky connection string. Took me a few hours to break in but once I relized it was named pipes took me a few minutes LoL.
@sollaSep 30.2012 — I don't know if this will help, but I also was not asked to set a user and when I opened management studio was just connected. But, when I went to add a database my login was denied. I exited management studio and restarted it by right clicking and doing the run as administrator option. I retried creating the database and it then worked.
@ThoughtExaminerOct 03.2012 — I ended up resolving the issue about an hour after my last post. Although I'd previously uninstalled all SQL programs/modules and tried reinstalling, I did it one more time and then attempted to reinstall DotNetNuke (which is what needed SQL Express and had been trying to install it as part of the DNN installation) and it installed perfectly.
@TheTechguysOct 04.2012 — Sometimes when you install SQL Express 2005, a component of another product, that will install the application to configure the environment, and reduce the effectiveness of your access to the SQL database. This is primarily due to the application set the SA password and not tell you what it is.
@goran01Jun 24.2013 — Once again should off, would off, could off but in reality is not.

Thanks for your time and efforts.

See you in cyberspace.[/QUOTE]

yes, it is sometimes difficult to argue with MS die hard defenders. for anyone who arrives to these pages....

i do not think there is a default SA password. if you do not get an option to specify it during the install, it is probably set to "undefined" or something like that.

your most promising option is to install SQL Server Management Studio and change the SA password when the application custom installer prompts for it.
@graemeSNov 20.2019 — sqlcmd -S <SERVERNAME>SQLEXPRESS -E

sp_addsrvrolemember 'BUILTINUsers', 'sysadmin'

Go

now the user has sysadmin.

builtin has ssyadmin , so do what you must to add logins then remove the priv.
@NogDogNov 20.2019 — {"locked":true}

Success!

Help @alexsts spread the word by sharing this article on Twitter...

Tweet This
Sign in
Forgot password?
Sign in with TwitchSign in with GithubCreate Account
about: ({
version: 0.1.9 BETA 4.24,
whats_new: community page,
up_next: more Davinci•003 tasks,
coming_soon: events calendar,
social: @webDeveloperHQ
});

legal: ({