/    Sign up×
Community /Pin to ProfileBookmark

Building a website like Fiverr.com

I’m interested in building a website similar to Fiverr.
It would have similar options (a number of categories, sellers and buyers, no shipping, just digital transactions).
So in general, a marketplace.
I’m wondering where I should start?
What do I do to begin with?
Do I use websites like WordPress, do I code from scratch (this is probably not a great idea since it would be very hard and would take a long time) or use built in function websites for online marketplaces?
Also, how long would this take and can it be done by a team of 3 people with mediocre skills in web development?

Thank you!

to post a comment
Full-stack Developer

9 Comments(s)

Copy linkTweet thisAlerts:
@jedaisoulMar 09.2017 — Hi and welcome to the site. Copying an idea already done by someone else is rarely successful, unless you can do it better or target it at a niche market that is currently not exploited. You may also need serious financial backing to be able to compete with the big boys!

Also, it is not possible to say how long it would take to develop, as there are too many unknowns. All I can say is: give it a try using the tools that are available to you!
@MSiricauthorMar 09.2017 — I'm not trying to copy an idea.

I was just wondering how you make a similar website (freelance marketplace).

It actually has nothing to do with Fiverr, I just mentioned it as a reference.

You still haven't answered the question.

Where do I start? What do I use? Can it be done by Wordpress only? What other tools should I use?
@jedaisoulMar 10.2017 — Like I said, there are too many unknowns, except perhaps for the question "where do I start", but here goes...

• 1. Where to start? - Research, research and more research. Don't assume that you are the first person to think up your wonderful idea (whatever it is). Research the market place thoroughly, and if (as you probably will) you do find existing site(s) try them out. Find out what they do well and where there is room for improvement. Hopefully, that will convince you whether launching yet another wannabe site is worth considering any further...

• 2. What to use? - Huh? Need far more info.

• 3. Can WordPress (only) do it? Depends on what you mean by "only".

• - WordPress straight out of the box is likely to need a lot of work to get it to do what you want.

• - Using a pre-written theme can cut down the work, but also restricts your flexibility.

• - Even if WP can do it, is it the right tool?

• 4. What other tools? - See 2.
  • Copy linkTweet thisAlerts:
    @NogDogMar 10.2017 — Regarding #3, WordPress is far from being the only CMS out there you could consider. Yes, it's popular. Yes, there are many, many plug-ins out there, a few of which *might* provide functionality you are looking for -- but in so doing, you are essentially duct-taping things onto a blogging CMS to turn it into some other sort of CMS, which can make for a bunch of bloated code you neither need nor want. Just in terms of open-source CMS's, you could poke around www.opensourcecms.com just to get an idea of the variety of things out there you might consider.
    @MSiricauthorMar 10.2017 — That's a great idea thank you.

Now let's say I choose one of the CM systems from the website you provided and want to link it to my html & css template. Can that be easily done?

Also, how much freedom do I have in changing and modifying those systems and adding new things?
    @NogDogMar 10.2017 — That's a great idea thank you.

Now let's say I choose one of the CM systems from the website you provided and want to link it to my html & css template. Can that be easily done?[/quote]

Depends on the CMS: how it's coded, user base (impacts likelihood of getting questions answered and availability of add-ons such as visual themes)

Also, how much freedom do I have in changing and modifying those systems and adding new things?[/QUOTE]

Since they're open-source, in theory you should be able to do whatever you want to them -- but you should read through their licenses just in case. ?
    @evalynroyApr 14.2021 — We are a team of [designers and developers](https://www.fiverr.com/revoumar/create-responsive-wordpress-website), We can make your website according to the requirements.
    @Elaunch2021Apr 14.2021 — Hi

We can help you in design and develop the website as per your requirement.

We have more than 5 years of wide experience with various website design and development for the business, healthcare, Social, Real Estate, Live streaming, E-Commerce, Accounting, Rental, Travelling & Booking, Directory using the below technology.

Expertise: HTML, CSS, bootstrap framework, Javascript, Custom Jquery, PHP Laravel MVC Framework with My SQL Database, Vue.JS, Node.JS, cloud services, firebase, payment gateways, Google API integration, third-party API integration, UI, UX, SDK, NDK, SIP, MNV, MVVC, CBD, SQL Server, HTML 5, CSS3 and many more.

Further, I would like to discuss more in detail the website requirement with you.

Kind Regards,

Jigar
    @Steve_R_JonesmoderatorApr 14.2021 — {"locked":true}

Success!

Help @MSiric spread the word by sharing this article on Twitter...

Tweet This
    Sign in
    Forgot password?
    Sign in with TwitchSign in with GithubCreate Account
    about: ({
    version: 0.1.9 BETA 4.25,
    whats_new: community page,
    up_next: more Davinci•003 tasks,
    coming_soon: events calendar,
    social: @webDeveloperHQ
    });

legal: ({