/    Sign up×
Community /Pin to ProfileBookmark

Jumbotron video background not displaying on mobiles

I am fairly new to coded web dev and have hit a snag with a WordPress site. As the title suggests, I have embedded a video background into the jumbotron and the video only displays on desktops and desktop view on mobile devices. If viewed in mobile view the video does not display, it only has a background coloured space in it’s place. After much research it seems the issue is related to the fact that mobile browsers are designed to stop embedded videos to save on data costs etc (which these days shouldn’t be an issue). I have thought about forcing the website to display in desktop view every time but I don’t believe that is the correct solution as we should be developing mobile first where possible. Can anyone think of a solution to get the video to display on all mobile devices please? (p.s. why do Google insist on mobile first when their own browser won’t support basic website functions on mobile??? …rant over)

Thanks ahead for any help on this people 🙂

to post a comment

3 Comments(s)

Copy linkTweet thisAlerts:
@derekrobertsMar 17.2019 — I think autoplay for videos is more and more being considered bad practice in web development because the user often finds it annoying or intrusive, sometimes even embarrassing. One solution which may not be preferred from your perspective but I think is preferred from the user perspective, is to display the video in an html video player (or some simple embedded video player) to give the user playback control.
@muppetauthorMar 17.2019 — Hi Derek,

Yes I see what you are saying. It's a shame as it can be attention grabbing to have videos but I also agree that it's not always preferred. Some videos will be more intrusive than others. This one is designed to just be a silent complimentary background. Perhaps your right that I should think about adding it in a player. Just a shame as the video is designed for it's specific purpose. I really appreciate your reply Derek and I will consider the wisdom of your advice.

Best regards
@muppetauthorMar 20.2019 — After further investigation it seems Wordpress is not sending the video on the mobile version. If I view the website in chrome with dev tools and adjust it to mobile view the video is not included in the header jumbotron section but it is when viewed in desktop view. Curious. Have checked all wordpress and theme settings but nothing obvious that would stop the video from being sent. This is the case whether using and embedded video or youtube URL. Anyone any ideas why this would be the case?

Best regards

Success!

Help @muppet spread the word by sharing this article on Twitter...

Tweet This
Sign in
Forgot password?
Sign in with TwitchSign in with GithubCreate Account
about: ({
version: 0.1.9 BETA 4.19,
whats_new: community page,
up_next: more Davinci•003 tasks,
coming_soon: events calendar,
social: @webDeveloperHQ
});

legal: ({