/    Sign up×
Community /Pin to ProfileBookmark

Beginner advice

What advice would you give to someone starting out in web development? PHP specifically

to post a comment
PHP

9 Comments(s)

Copy linkTweet thisAlerts:
@NogDogJul 15.2019 — Try to spend some of your time learning general programming concepts (not necessarily PHP-specific), so that you learn how to write clean, modular code that is easy to test* and easy to maintain. Try to keep your code D.R.Y., and keep your functions/classes narrowly focused and loosely coupled. (That should give you several things to google. ;) )

Spend some time on database concepts, as almost anything non-trivial that you build will have DB interactions.

* For extra credit, look into "test-driven development".
@ginerjmJul 15.2019 — And do NOT be afraid to READ. So many people on these forums state that they don't learn well by reading and want forum users to write their code for them so they can "see it". To be a true programmer one needs to be a reader of manuals, reference materials, tutorials and other things that will expand your knowledge. As NogDog says, learn something about programming too, not just PHP. It will make you a better all-around IT person.
@coleioauthorJul 15.2019 — How did I know it would be you two lol. Lots to look into guys thanks ;)
@NogDogJul 15.2019 — Also, https://www.php.net/manual/en/ is the ultimate source of truth. They provide a handy shortcut URL mechanism when you have an idea what you want to use but don't know how to use it, e.g. https://php.net/array_walk.
@NaceJul 22.2019 — @ginerjm#1606321

I recently started php as well and I am enjoying every bit of it as I proceed but I discovered that I understand Procedural better than OOP and PDO, and you mentioned something about reading; I usually get frustrated and sleepy when I read books or PDFs but not when I watch video tutorials that shows practical examples as I watch on. What advice would you give concerning this
@NogDogJul 22.2019 — The problem with videos can be the quality of the information they give. Anyone can post a video on YouTube. Generally speaking, not just anyone can get a book published by a reputable publisher (but watch out for self-published e-books ;) ).

If you watch a video to get an introduction to a new concept, don't stop there and think you know it. Look at the relevant PHP manual pages to reinforce what the video addressed while also learning how to use/understand the manual. Watch another video by another creator on the same subject and see if they agree, or have differing viewpoints.

One source of videos I'll recommend is https://laracasts.com/ . Jeffrey knows his stuff and explains it well. He normally has quite a few free introductory-level stuff, but you may want to pay for a subscription at some point as you get more serious about it.
@VITSUSAJul 22.2019 — @coleio#1606319 From initial stages people should focus on basic concepts of the coding and not use shortcuts because it distract you from the right path.
@ginerjmJul 22.2019 — Vitsusa:

I understand everyone learns in different ways. BUT - in this line of work - reading is essential. One will not learn and remember what you have learned without lots of practice and use. Therefore a familiarity with a manual/reference book is essential since you will need to "reference" that all the while you are in the learning stage. A video is not going to provide that for you.

Nace:

I too am more of a procedural guy. OO is neat and works for those that have a need to invest in using classes for 'bigger' projects. That is not my area of work so I don't use classes and OO very much at all.

Learn how to use php and its vast set of functions and you will be alright. When you get to somewhere that classes become essential you will be ready to learn how at that point.
@movepixelsJul 22.2019 — Bookmark everything effectively. Find a good tutorial, save it. May never use it but you still will never have to look for again. Make a PHP bookmarks folder and break it down into sections. Class / Helper/ what not so you always can reference back.

Success!

Help @coleio spread the word by sharing this article on Twitter...

Tweet This
Sign in
Forgot password?
Sign in with TwitchSign in with GithubCreate Account
about: ({
version: 0.1.9 BETA 4.25,
whats_new: community page,
up_next: more Davinci•003 tasks,
coming_soon: events calendar,
social: @webDeveloperHQ
});

legal: ({