/    Sign up×
Community /Pin to ProfileBookmark

New WordPress website on new hosting, but existing domain name (Wix)

Hi,

I’ve got a client who’s currently running their website on/with Wix. It’s just a very simple one page site with very basic contents at the moment.

Domain name was also likely acquired through Wix as well and email is hosted through another hosting provider using the email only hosting plan as Wix does not provide email service.

I am about to design a brand new WordPress site for this client on the new hosting server of my choice and I intend to achieve the following:

(1) get the client to pay for a cPanel / shared hosting with the new hosting provider (without needing them to buy another domain name of course)
(2) develop the new WordPress site on the new hosting server
(3) when the time is right – point the existing domain name to the WordPress on the new hosting server, I’ll deal with the contents on homepage by replacing it with a ‘Coming Soon’ message template
(4) through using Outlook & imap protocol to manually keep a backup of all email accounts and emails on the PC, then point the email setting to the new hosting server (which has all relevant email accounts created and ready of course)

Importantly I wish to develop the site on a live environment so that there’s minimal server side or database related fixing (search and replace?) that I’ll need to care about later, as well as allowing the client to see and check my progress.

So my question is – I’ve done some research and have been given with advice like using a temp URL, host file or a sub-domain method, so what would be the best and easiest way to approach and to meet my needs? And what action(s) will I need to be doing during each of the stages described above in order to have things done as planned?

Also, because the (temporary) ‘coming soon homepage’ will be live (but without having any linkages to the rest of the pages that’s under development), will I run into any issues from the aspect of SEO (or Google bots) or having the risks of letting visitors to access them when we don’t want them to?

Any suggestions are welcome and I’d really appreciate a clear and easy to follow instruction can be provided as I am really more of a design guy.

Thanks in advance!
Eddy

to post a comment
Web Hosting

4 Comments(s)

Copy linkTweet thisAlerts:
@Harley-MiddletonMar 18.2020 — It is not a problem. You can purchase and rewrite your existing domain to new one. Find out more:
@storm_tr00perApr 03.2020 — I don't quite understand what you mean, but if I'm not mistaken, there is a possibility. Here a lot depends on the hosting itself. First, you need to contact him and find out about this possibility. Personally, I have never had any problems in this regard, since I was very lucky with hosting. If you are interested, I can recommend that you read more about it at [hostingcanada.pro](https://www.hostingcanada.pro) where I found my hosting, which I have been using for several years. Due to the favorable terms of use, you do not need to have a large initial capital to use it. In addition, it has a very extensive package of services, which most likely also includes the ability to edit the content of the site, just what you need
@natashalhrApr 04.2020 — Yes you can do that - just buy your existing domain.
@RoyFollmanMay 12.2020 — This isn't a problem when you transfer the site to a new hosting, you can change the domain to any desired one. In this case, you need to choose a hosting service for your client. Not all services are suitable for sites of this type. At least an important point is to pay attention to DDoS protection, since poor DDoS protection can cause problems with the site and its traffic. Explain to your client that you shouldn't be afraid to invest money in your site and choose a hosting service with a good reputation. Explain to him that he can use discount coupons for [url=https://host.discount/stores/interserver/]professional hosting services[/url] and saving money on this.

Success!

Help @eddy0920 spread the word by sharing this article on Twitter...

Tweet This
Sign in
Forgot password?
Sign in with TwitchSign in with GithubCreate Account
about: ({
version: 0.1.9 BETA 4.23,
whats_new: community page,
up_next: more Davinci•003 tasks,
coming_soon: events calendar,
social: @webDeveloperHQ
});

legal: ({