/    Sign up×
Community /Pin to ProfileBookmark

How Many People Turn Off JavaScript These Days?

I remember some time ago, there were a number of people who would disable JavaScript in their browser, but I wonder how common that is today? I ask because I was hoping to use JavaScript for some iterative positioning of SVG elements.

to post a comment
JavaScript

3 Comments(s)

Copy linkTweet thisAlerts:
@NogDogMay 03.2020 — Anyone who does is probably used to web pages not working, but if your page depends on JS to work it's probably a good idea to use a <noscript> element to at least warn them?
@Mr_Initial_ManauthorMay 03.2020 — It doesn't necessarily require JavaScript to function--it's a static page--but I was hoping to use JavaScript as a bit of a shortcut so instead of having:

<br/>
&lt;svg:g transform="translate(0,50)"&gt;<br/>
...<br/>
&lt;/svg:g&gt;<br/>
&lt;svg:g transform="translate(0,100)"&gt;<br/>
...<br/>
&lt;/svg:g&gt;<br/>
&lt;svg:g transform="translate(0,150)"&gt;<br/>
...<br/>
&lt;/svg:g&gt;

. . .<br/>

I could use a loop of JavaScript to set the translate attribute for each <svg:g> element. Just a little coding shortcut.
@NogDogMay 03.2020 — I think the percentage now is very small, possibly approaching "vanishingly small". By "not working" I don't necessarily mean something "breaks", but whether or not the user can get all the (important) information from the page if JS is not active. If it's not a pretty or some cool navigation effect doesn't occur, no biggie -- but if they can't see something that is part of the main reason for viewing the page, they should at least know why if you do not provide a fall-back mechanism. And if it's just a "for fun" page, I probably wouldn't even worry about it.

Success!

Help @Mr_Initial_Man spread the word by sharing this article on Twitter...

Tweet This
Sign in
Forgot password?
Sign in with TwitchSign in with GithubCreate Account
about: ({
version: 0.1.9 BETA 5.7,
whats_new: community page,
up_next: more Davinci•003 tasks,
coming_soon: events calendar,
social: @webDeveloperHQ
});

legal: ({