Hi wanted to get opinions on which route to go - WP or Custom or a combo of the both. I own an existing large site using Wordpress with a lot of plugins, but planning a relaunch (via hiring a web firm) that will require many more big features. Here are some of the concerns and requirements:
Site right now on Wordpress:
- Have a theme mainly for news, posts, pages etc.
- Multiple 3rd party plugins for different tools that get the job, but not integrated and connected with each other enough.
- Hosting is already $400/mo 48 GB RAM, 16 CPU Cores, 38.4 GHz CPU (maxxed plan for the hosting company I'm using).
- Will have all the stuff from the existing site
- Will add a TON of new features, a new and sophisticated platform worth of stuff, it'll be like 5 sites in one
- A lot of customization will be needed so that everything is connected to each other + a unified look
- Some new features can be done with multiple 3rd party WP plugins, but bigger portions will have to be customized a ton.
- Concerned if I went WP route it'd be a lot of bloat (although the plugins are 100% needed), slow the site down a lot, or be an insane amount for hosting.
- Concerned the platform would be too big for WP to handle
- Concerned if I went WP, security and being reliant on 3rd party plugins, things breaking on updates, plugin conflicts, etc.
- The concern with 100% from scratch custom solution (via web firm) is cost + redundantly creating things a WP plugin can do.
- Also the concern is with the 100% custom route is how easy would it be to update it / keep it maintained a la Wordpress.
Does this sound like something where it makes more sense for 100% custom from scratch, WP, a combo, or something else? Thanks.