/    Sign up×
Community /Pin to ProfileBookmark

Which language should I learn?

I am in search of a second source of income, a job I can have outside of my regular 9-5 that allows for flexible hours and decent extra income. I’d suspect coding/programming could offer that opportunity for which I’m searching. What skill/language would make me most marketable? And what is recommended as the first place where I’d begin my education (ideally free resources to begin, until I’d know I’m capable of acquiring this new skill). Please offer any advice, direction, or ask questions that would help you offer me help.
thank you

to post a comment
Full-stack Developer

12 Comments(s)

Copy linkTweet thisAlerts:
@NogDogJan 26.2021 — That depends on what you want to do. However, since this was posted in the "Client-Side" section, JavaScript would be the first obvious choice, since it permeates all web client-side programming. However, JavaScript is not the greatest programming language in the world (very subjective statement), so it's not exactly a great first programming language.

I therefore might possibly suggest Python to start. Search for some well-reviewed Python beginner courses to help you learn the basics of writing software. Then once you've mastered the basics, jump into JavaScript if you want to do client-side web stuff -- and with Python you've already got your foot in the door for one of the many options when you realize you need to do some server-side/database stuff for a web site that actually does anything besides look nice. :)

Oh, and assuming your interest is in web stuff, you need to learn the HTML mark-up language along with CSS, as those define the structure, content, and look of whatever it is you want output on the browser. (You'll want a solid grasp of the basics before you start trying to do much with JavaScript.)
@DivyanauthorJan 26.2021 — @NogDog#1627167 thank you for the help and advice. You explained things in a way that was easy for a novice like me to follow.

After typing my original question, I didn’t know where to put it (ask it). I noticed the heading of _general_ under client, so that’s what I selected. Where should I have put a general question like mine? And, if you found my question in a location other than under the client forum topic, might you suggest something other than Java?
@JennieMillerJan 26.2021 — i suggest python.
@NogDogJan 26.2021 — > @Divyan#1627181 And, if you found my question in a location other than under the client forum topic, might you suggest something other than Java?

First, note that "Java" and "JavaScript" are two different languages (which unfortunately are based on the same name, but that's pretty much where the similarity ends :( ).

Anyway, it really depends on what sort of development you want to do. Can we assume you want to do something in the general world of website stuff? If so, what kind of sites for what kind of clients? Are you more interested in the "front end" that defines the look and feel of the web pages, or do you want to get into data crunching and business rule processing on the "back end" to provide custom services for your clients. Or maybe you just want to learn how to use a few common content management systems (CMS's) like WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, etc. and rapidly throw together generic sites for mom and pop shops and such?
@DivyanauthorJan 27.2021 — @NogDog#1627200

I likely expressed more proof of being a newbie by not knowing the major differences between Java and JavaScript.

of the many types of skills you mentioned, with respect to finding clients in search of website help, is the “back end” side more focused on math/data/etc, opposed to more having an eye for design? If so, that would be the area that would most interest me. Problem solving, math, logic, those are all stronger interests of mine. Knowing color coordination and picture placement are areas where I have less knowledge. Does this new information help you to better direct me?
@VITSUSAJan 27.2021 — @Divyan#1627165 You can do anything according to your interest but after job how time you have which you can spend on part-time work?
@johncarryJan 27.2021 — Depends on you. what you want to learn. but i suggest Php.
@marksmith121Jan 27.2021 — You should learn the language according to your interest. If you have an interest in a particular language you can do better. But I will suggest few

Java,Python,Dotnet,JavaScript etc.
@NogDogJan 27.2021 — @Divyan#1627214

Basically there are two places (computers) that your code gets executed for a web page
  • * On the web server (and connected database servers): the "server-side"

• * On the user's computer/device: the "client-side"

• The client-side stuff is 99% or more handled by HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.

The server-side has all sorts of possibilities depending on what you are trying to do and what you prefer to use. Many different programming languages, many options for SQL and NoSQL databases to manage the data, possibly 3rd-party code frameworks/libraries to handle the stuff that's generally the same for a given type of web project, etc.

> @Divyan#1627214 Problem solving, math, logic, those are all stronger interests of mine.

Those can exist in either/both sides, but the server-side is where you're more likely to encounter more of that and to deeper levels. (E.g., the client-side just submitted the user's form input to the web web server -- now we have to figure out if those inputs make sense, store what needs to be stored, apply logic to determine what happens next, etc.) Essentially, the server-side interprets what to do based on the inputs from the client-side, and then determines what gets output as a result back to the client-side. There are many cool/interesting things that the client-side can do these days (for one example, maybe search on "single-page web apps"), but my personal interest has always been on the server-side stuff, so take all the above as applicably biased. :)
    @tome1122Jan 28.2021 — Its depend on your interest, which language is interested for you.
    @AlexeyJan 30.2021 — from my experience, two factors matter:
  • - what you need it for

• - whether you like the language

• oh and unless (1) is not suuuper important, than without the (2) you'll suffer and suffer and suffer...
    @nihitthakkarFeb 04.2021 — There are many languages which can be learned and mastered according to your interest.

c++,

Java,

phyton,

C#,

laravel, etc.

Success!

Help @Divyan spread the word by sharing this article on Twitter...

Tweet This
    Sign in
    Forgot password?
    Sign in with TwitchSign in with GithubCreate Account
    about: ({
    version: 0.1.9 BETA 4.25,
    whats_new: community page,
    up_next: more Davinci•003 tasks,
    coming_soon: events calendar,
    social: @webDeveloperHQ
    });

legal: ({