/    Sign up×
Community /Pin to ProfileBookmark

How To Sanitize & Validate User Input On Your Search Box ?

Folks,

Building a searchengine like google. ofcourse.
Now, I need to VALIDATE user inputs on my search box on my website.

REQUIREMENTS:

• 1. Need to make sure the search box is not empty before clicking the “Search” button.

• 2. Need to make sure no user will be able to hack into my Mysql database.

• 3. Need to make sure no user will be able to hijack my other visitors to any malicious site.

• 4. Need to make sure no user will be able to inject sql commands.

• 5. Need to make sure no user will be able to inject html to breakup the page.

• 6. Need to make sure all chars (alpha, numbers, symbols) found on a keyboard (like a QWERTY one) are typable in the search box and searchable in the Mysql Database.
    **(NOTE: Above, I have given you 6 requirements. Should I have more ? If so, what should they be ?).**
  • Php

““
    $blacklisted_words = array(‘prick’,’dick’);

//Check if “search term” exists or not in Url’s Query String.
    if(empty(trim($_REQUEST[‘find’])) || !is_string(trim($_REQUEST[‘find’]))) //Using $_REQUEST[] for both $_REQUEST[‘POST’] & $_REQUEST[‘REQUEST’].
    {
    die(‘Enter Keywords to search!’);
    }
    else
    {
    if(in_array(trim($_REQUEST[‘find’]),$blacklisted_words)) //Keyword(s) to search.
    {
    die(‘Your search terms contains a banned word! Try some other keywords’);
    }
    ““

I am not sure if I should remove this part or not since I do want to allow users searching for symbols such:
    @#^&*()_-=+[]{};:'”|<>?,./`~

““
    !is_string(trim($_REQUEST[‘find’]))
    ““

Must allow users to search for symbols because they could be searching for tutorial websites based on these symbols.

In short, if you were building your own searchengine, then how would you code it to SANITIZE and/or VALIDATE user inputs on your search box that queries your Searchengine Index (MySql Database) bearing in mind the security subject so your databse, webpage, etc. cannot be hacked, hijacked, sql injected, html injected, cross site attacked, javascript injected, etc. ? I don’t have much experience with Cross Site Attacks and so I am mostly worried about that. Must make sure that doesn’t happen to my website. need to take measures in my coding. Protect my website & database.
    I’d appreciate code samples from every contributor as that will teach me a variety of flavours of coding. And trigger constructive debates on the subject on this thread. We always can learn a thing or two from the other no matter the level of programming expertise or experience.
    I would be using Prepared Statements to protect from Sql Injection.
    You can see a sample of how my full code will look like by glancing over here:
    https://www.webdeveloper.com/d/395615-htmlentities-used-correctly-or-not
    Hence, not wasting your time making you go through the same code (pagination page code) all over again here aswell. Here, we just need to concentrate on how to VALIDATE the user’s input on my searchengine’s search box. Ok ? So, let’s concentrate how to deal with the inputs on **$_POST[find’];**

Search Box Html

““
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>
    Searchengine Result Page
    </title>
    </head>
    <body>

<form method = ‘GET’ action = “”>
    <label for=’find’>Find</label>
    <input type=’text’ name=’find’ id=’find’>
    <br>
    Table:
    <input type=’radio’ name=’table’ id=’sale’ value=’sale’><label for=’sale’>Websites On Sale</label>
    <input type=’radio’ name=’table’ id=’sold’ value=’sold’><label for=’sold’>Websites Sold</label>
    <input type=’radio’ name=’table’ id=’links’ value=’links’><label for=’links’>Links</label>
    <br>
    <label for=”column”>Column:</label>
    <select name=”column” id=”column”>
    <option value=””></option>
    <option value=”domain”>Domain</option>
    <option value=”email”>Email</option>
    <option value=”submission_id”>Submission Id</option>
    <option value=”url”>Url</option>
    <option value=”anchor”>Anchor</option>
    <option value=”description”>Description</option>
    <option value=”keyword”>Keyword</option>
    </select>
    <br>
    <button type=’submit’>Search!</button>
    </form>
    </body>
    </html>
    ““

to post a comment
    PHP

8 Comments(s)

Copy linkTweet thisAlerts:
    @developer_webauthorJul 25.2021 — @DaveyErwin

You've built a searchengine. How did you deal with the user's input on your search box ?
    @developer_webauthorJul 25.2021 — @NogDog

I have checked many php tutorials now that teach how to build a searchengine and none of them sanitize or validate the user's input (keyword searches)! That's strange. They just dive into going and searching the user's inputs on their mysql db. No security checks. Foolish, hey ?
    @developer_webauthorJul 25.2021 — @sempervivum

Do you sanitize or validate the user's keywords before getting your php code to search for the user's keywords on your mysql db ? If so, then show me how you code it. Imagine a user searching for a keyword on your searchengine's INDEX.
    @NogDogJul 26.2021 — > @developer_web#1634723 No security checks. Foolish, hey ?

Not if they're using prepared queries with bound parameters. In that case, there is no risk of database damage. (Where you need to be careful is _outputting_ those values to the browser later, if you do.)
    @SempervivumJul 26.2021 — @developer_web#1634724 Unfortunately I'm not familiar with sanitizing, validating etc. in PHP. However if you have questions regarding this subject in Javascript I would be happy to assist you :-)
    @developer_webauthorJul 30.2021 — @NogDog#1634727

Ah! Then we make use of the urlencode(), rawurlencode(), htmlentities(), htmlentities(). Right ?
    @NogDogJul 30.2021 — > @developer_web#1634886 Ah! Then we make use of the urlencode(), rawurlencode(), htmlentities(), htmlentities(). Right ?

Depends on where/how they are being output.
    @developer_webauthorJul 30.2021 — @NogDog#1634889

So, is my updated code ok now then ?

https://www.webdeveloper.com/d/395615-htmlentities-used-correctly-or-not/5

And do you see any other errors on my code on my original post apart from the htmlentities() and htmlspecialchars() messes I made ?

https://www.webdeveloper.com/d/395615-htmlentities-used-correctly-or-not

Success!

Help @developer_web spread the word by sharing this article on Twitter...

Tweet This
    Sign in
    Forgot password?
    Sign in with TwitchSign in with GithubCreate Account
    about: ({
    version: 0.1.9 BETA 4.20,
    whats_new: community page,
    up_next: more Davinci•003 tasks,
    coming_soon: events calendar,
    social: @webDeveloperHQ
    });

legal: ({