/    Sign up×
Community /Pin to ProfileBookmark

Hi guys, I would like to open a discussion regarding a case that happened to me recently. After I made a site and delivered it, the company that had ordered it didn’t pay me for it, and since the access is to the server on which it was hosted and the general access credentials to wordpress were shared, they change all and modify. So I thought, from now on, to add a small script within the sites that I do that allows me remotely or as a client, to temporarily disable the site and put it on standby. Let me explain better, since I don’t want it to be a hacker attack, insert this little script that works like a little IF (Yes or Not). So in practice when the customer doesn’t pay me instead of going to attack, I simply put some kind of ON OFF switch, which interrupts something within the site? Would anyone know how to give me a hand? And maybe explain how I can do it legally?

to post a comment
JavaScript

6 Comments(s)

Copy linkTweet thisAlerts:
@boohooOct 18.2021 — @Lelitos333#1638295 it's not popular to do that. These scripts would also be quite easy to overcome anyway. If you work remotely, this is the business of trust. An employer needs to trust you and you need to trust them. The only thing you can do is to filter out sketchy clients and possibly ask for partial payments while development is going on.
@tracknutOct 18.2021 — To add to this, I would suggest there was a serious communications problem with the client. Your contract should say, in pretty decent detail, exactly what you're going to deliver, and what partial payments are due when. If either one of you is seeing an issue with the project, you should know it early on, and address it at that time. You should not put yourself in a situation where you get to the very end of the project after you've installed it on their server before you find out you've got a problem so big that the client isn't going to pay you.

I had a client once who contracted me to do a very basic web site, for cheap. It was clear while we were still just designing the site that she was actually wanting a graphic intensive site. I was able to show her the contract that said that she was responsible for all the graphics, and we parted ways. I did give her back her deposit, so I lost a few bucks on the project, but fortunately I got out before it was too much water under the bridge.

I would certainly not "solve" this by adding a back door switch to your code to shut it off. Solve it by putting yourself in the better legal position in the first place.
@Lelitos333authorOct 18.2021 — @tracknut#1638303 Unfortunately it was precisely that trust given, which led me to this dilemma, given that these same clients who had passed me a friend would have allowed me then in the future to collect more work, obviously I'm not saying that it will no longer be like this. . I would add that it is no longer legally possible to act precisely for such a law, so I am here to ask you, would you be able to create this ON OFF button in case of need? I'm not asking you to find another solution, I'm asking you if you could do such a thing, so a small script to be inserted somewhere in the site (not very visible of course), which allows you to disable the site in which it is, and obviously a way to start the script remotely simply by switching between on and off. If you want an example I tell you that of a monthly subscription, if a customer does not pay the following month the subscription is blocked or disabled and must be renewed, here I want something like that. Could you give me a hand?
@Lelitos333authorOct 18.2021 — I don't want to be aggressive, forgive my poor English vocabulary but I'm not a top, I hope I didn't feel wrong
@tracknutOct 18.2021 — @Lelitos333#1638307 Yes it is certainly possible to have such a thing. Send a message to something waiting on the server, it sees the message and blows up all the code (or whatever "OFF" would be). I suspect it could put YOU in huge legal jeopardy, and I wouldn't write it.

IMO, this isn't a relationship that you want to continue. I would get out and figure out what to do differently next time.
@boohooOct 18.2021 — @Lelitos333#1638308 I've never heard about anybody creating such a backdoor script. If anything, consider hosting the project on your own server for the client to have a preview. You'd share your source code once it's paid. If the client is fine with this approach, you could try it. But I'd say a big no no to the script idea.

Success!

Help @Lelitos333 spread the word by sharing this article on Twitter...

Tweet This
Sign in
Forgot password?
Sign in with TwitchSign in with GithubCreate Account
about: ({
version: 0.1.9 BETA 4.25,
whats_new: community page,
up_next: more Davinci•003 tasks,
coming_soon: events calendar,
social: @webDeveloperHQ
});

legal: ({