I recently uploaded a customized not found page to my site and I thought it was working correctly in that it contained a link to my home page which seemed to work. I don't recall if I actually used the link or not however last night I did by requesting a non-existent page which produced the not found page however I discovered that the link was attempting to take me to the requested page which didn't exist as I had just made up the name.
I checked the link on the page on my computer and uploaded it again to my root directory.
I then entered a request for a non-existent page in Firefox and the new not found page appeared however the link had changed to that of my requested page.
Slightly wierd if you ask me but ..............
Any comments would be welcome.