Slight confusion. I want to have full programmatic control of the player.
I want to start a specific video determined by e.g. various settings on the page, or random, or geographic location etc. So, if the user clicks on a checkbox indicating they are interested in gardens then a video of gardens plays. They won't necessarily select the video, there might be a random element.
Another major element is geographic position. I'm creating mashups using Virtual Earth and Google etc. If the user clicks on a marker it may have pictures associated with it or text or a video. If a video is available I want it to run automatically (very short clips - 5-15 seconds probably). And I'm also thinking of Panoramic 'videos' a bit like those clever things where you can spin around or zoom in. The spinning around would be achieved by moving forward frame by frame (for spinning clockwise) and reverse frame by frame for turning anticlockwise. One idea is to use a slider to control the Frame being viewed (a bit like an editing app) or even hotspots on the video itself (I've seen API calls somewhere recently for hotspots but it might have been QuickTime).
The general approach I have tried to replicate is shown at this Tutorial Page which shows control of a flash player.
Page 2 shows a technique for getting control using example.TGotoFrame, Tplay, TStopPlay etc. where example is the id="example" of the object. Looks easy enough but I have had no success. Essentially var mymovie = document.getElementById("example"). Does not return a pointer to a SWF object. Eventually, I found a technique here
when I dropped getElementById in favour of
var mymovie = window.document["example"];
mymovie.play(); stopped resulting in Errors. And the method Play could be seen when the mymovie element was inspected (Firebug Add Watch thing). Actually, the Play method was seen once and I haven't seen it since (changing stuff all the time).
I've tried the SWFObject but it appears to be little more than an Adaptor that writes the object markup via a function call which appears to do very little. I thought it would expose TPlay, (or Play), GotoFrame etc etc. I'm not sure it adds much - early days perhaps I've missed the point of the thing.
Something very odd is going on with all this TPlay stuff. It obviously works (webwasp proves it). Also, Play works but not Stop or StopPlay when using the permadi technique.
I have a slight suspicion that the fact I am developing on my local Apache server might be a factor (just something I read about a security issue). I'm going to try and strip down the source of WebWasp to try and recreate it and see how I get on. I suspect I'm delving into real Ninja territory here.