/    Sign up×
Community /Pin to ProfileBookmark

hi there. i am a beginner and have been studying python for a few weeks now and i am aching to get my hands dirty! what sort of tasks would i use python for over php. i know php is used for standard stuff like contact forms, session control etc.. but where does python fit in to the equation? forgive my ignorance! is python an alternative to php or is it, as i have read – “the next step”? thanks.

to post a comment

8 Comments(s)

Copy linkTweet thisAlerts:
@Phill_PaffordMar 11.2009 — I like to think of Python as a Perl/PHP hybrid, but I've seen it used more as a server-side scripting language not sure if you can do webdev.

Here is a good link though
@eddie21leedsauthorMar 11.2009 — ok thanks ill have a look... by web dev do you mean embedded html and things like that? im fairly new i and i assumed web dev and server side scripting were the same thing.
@Phill_PaffordMar 12.2009 — Yes webdev is HTML dev but server-side scripting does not have to have a seen webpage, it can be all command line or a service that runs in the background.
@eddie21leedsauthorMar 12.2009 — ok i see. thanks!
@ryanlundMar 16.2009 — Personally if you want to do web development i would stick with PHP. Once you dig deeper under the surface you will find its quite a powerful language and there isnt much you cant do with it.

On the other hand if you have your heart set on learning python then go for it. The number of people that know python is really quite small compared to alot of other languages - so it could be useful to know?

Ryan
@Katherine777Jun 25.2018 — Interesting thread! Recently I've found out that Python's rating has increased and the demand for developers skyrocketed. It has to be noted, all this led to the growth of their wages. If someone is interested, there is an article on https://diceus.com/python-developer-salary/ that can provide you with all necessary information on the topic. So, I decided to learn Python, and I think, the information given here will be useful for me. Thanks for sharing your experience, guys!
@rootJun 26.2018 — {"locked":true}
@rootJun 26.2018 — @Katherine777#1593296 PLEASE DO NOT RESURRECT OLD POSTS.

Success!

Help @eddie21leeds spread the word by sharing this article on Twitter...

Tweet This
Sign in
Forgot password?
Sign in with TwitchSign in with GithubCreate Account
about: ({
version: 0.1.9 BETA 3.28,
whats_new: community page,
up_next: more Davinci•003 tasks,
coming_soon: events calendar,
social: @webDeveloperHQ
});

legal: ({