I am looking at a simple yet powerful CMS satisfying my needs
Here is what I need (3 sites atm):
I am a university lecture; so I allow my students to download study material which I want to be able to upload easily.
Students should then be able to download uploaded material (only the material belonging to the course they attend).
Students should also be able to hand-in their assignments etc.
Site proviedes some general information about the course and announcements as well as some free SW downloads.
My private webseite informing about my research.
Very simple; photo gallery etc. might be useful.
For my personal business (the company I own); informing about finance topics, option for customers to download forms and questionnaires etc.
Will inform via a blog.
Polls and questionnaires customers can fill out before we start the consulting session.
Discussion forum where customers can ask questions.
Customers should be allwed to schedule appointments with me.
Statistics that reveal customer's behavior.
Strong SEO support (being ranked properly in Google is esesential).
Support for crating and maint. mailing lists customers can subscribe to.
- Apache based, platform independent or running on Linux
- PHP/MySQL (makes life easier for me in case I need to change sth or to develop custom add-on)
- Cost: Free or very little (<120€ / year)
Soft requirements (features I would really really love to see)
Real inline editing and real WYSIWYG editor; DND content capabilities
Flexible plug-in/extension system; huge availability of reasonable plug-ins
Themeing engine; proper availability of good-looking themes; should be easy to develop your own theme or change an existing one
- Photo gallery
- Online polls and questionnaires
- Mail forms etc
- Search engine (for searching inside the site)
File/document manager (upload files for students that can then download them or forms for customers etc.)
Option for visitors to sign up to mailing lists and/or events
Option for visitors to see my calender and to sign up for free slots (e.g. students that want to schedule an appointment)
Group & User management (secure pages accessible to one group but not to the other etc.)
Proper SEO support (friendly URLs, vanity URLs, etc.)
Not needed (but okay if possible, of course - option to entirely deactive these features would be great):
- Content approval and audit trail
Load/traffic won't be high; performance should be satisfactory
I habe been looking at these systems already:
- Concrete5 (super simple, super sexy but I hate the extensions - not enough, partially very expensive; strong dislike)
- Drupal (feels powerful and very extendable - lot of modules, active communty; feels a bit "old-school")
- Squiz (sounds great, but no demo; unsure about available modules)
- Joomla (no real opinion yet)
- Cantao (no real opinion yet)
- Pimcore (no real opinion yet)
What do you guys think?