The process of building high quality linkage data that search engines will evaluate to trust your website is authoritative, relevant, and trustworthy.
A few general link building tips:
- Build conceptually unique link-worthy high quality content.
- Create viral marketing ideas that want to spread and make people talk about you.
- Mix your anchor text.
- Get deep links.
- Try to build at least a few quality links before actively obtaining any low quality links.
- Register your site in relevant high quality directories such as DMOZ, the Yahoo! Directory, and Business.com.
- When possible try to focus your efforts mainly on getting high quality editorial links.
- Create link bait.
- Try to get bloggers to mention you on their blogs.
- It takes a while to catch up with the competition, but if you work at it long enough and hard enough eventually you can enjoy a self-reinforcing market position.