My name is Andrew, and I am a third year veterinary student. Having spent many years in the veterinary healthcare industry, I have become increasingly aware of a striking issue that needs to be addressed…veterinary practice management software.
Most available software is VERY expensive, cumbersome, and hard to use. The packages often utilize complicated proprietary server software and require each workstation to carry an individual software license, further increasing cost to implement practice management software.
I have envisioned a web-based (PHP, SQL, CSS) practice management software package that would require only a central local web server and workstations capable of running a web-browser. This allows for us to get away from the multiple license architecture and allows for workstations to run ANY operating system, while making it easy to integrate mobile devices such as tablets whose use has increased significantly in the veterinary healthcare profession. Basically I’m looking to create a front end for a Create Update Read Delete database for veterinarians to use.
Though similar projects exist for the human side of medicine (e.g. OpenEMR), no such programs exist in any usable state for veterinarians. With 20,000 small animal veterinary clinics in the United States alone, there is a fairly large market to work with. Many veterinarians are frustrated with rising costs and are sick of spending tens of thousands of dollars on software to manage their practices.
My goals are:
• Create a web-based veterinary practice management program which will cost significantly less than traditional practice management solutions
• Support and provide updates for the software at little to no cost (many companies charge an arm and a leg for technical support and program upgrades)
My challenges are:
• Little to no venture capital
• I have a vision, but not the know-how to make my vision come to reality
What do I need?
• Experienced PHP programmers with mySQL experience
• Experience with CSS or some other method of prettying up the interface preferred
• Willing to devote some of their spare time to the project (no full time commitment here, I know people are busy!)
• Willing to accept equity or profit sharing in the future in lieu of traditional compensation during development
Please contact me if you are interested. I can be reached in the following ways:
Email: andrewbr AT gmail DOT com (Google Chat is okay too)