/    Sign up×
Community /Pin to ProfileBookmark

How powerful is wordpress?

Sorry might not be the right forum to post in but I give it a try ?

Hey! I am asking because I need help with this, my question is really how powerful is wordpress if I wish to run a site like ebay, airbnb etc? I mean to offer consumer-to-consumer and business-to-consumer sales, and auction like services etc?
Where people can uload their own pictures, add descriptions and prices they want for the stuff they want to sell..
Is wordpress stable enough? Is it too slow? etc..

Is wordpress powerful enough for that so I can do it myself with my partners or should I hire a team of devs to build me what I need?
I am really grateful for any useful info and answers I can get, thank you.

to post a comment
Full-stack Developer

16 Comments(s)

Copy linkTweet thisAlerts:
@NogDogFeb 26.2016 — While it's possible you could do it with Wordpress, it would probably mean adding a bunch of plug-ins, maybe writing some custom code, and hoping all that code you're using is secure while not being too bloated. Personally, I'd be more inclined to build it on top of a lower-level framework (e.g. PHP on Laravel or Ruby on Rails) -- unless I could find a decent package out there already that's purpose-built for what you want -- though you're still stuck with hoping it's robust, secure, and scalable if you don't the quality and dependability of whoever created it.
@jedaisoulFeb 26.2016 — Hi and welcome to the site.

• 1. Whether you should try a self-build largely depends upon how critical to your business the web app is intended to be, at least initially. The more mission critical the web presence will be, the less likely it is that you should risk it all on a novice developer (even yourself).

• 2. Also you need to take the "opportunity cost" into account, i.e. what is the cost to the business of the things you are NOT doing whilst investing your time as a novice developer?

• 3. Also, bear in mind that a self-build ALWAYS takes ten times as long as you think it will.

• So if, taking these factors into account, you still want to have a go, by all means do so. If nothing else, it will help you gain a better understanding of your requirements, for when you chuck the self-build in the bin and start talking to some professionals.

This is a serious point. Many professional builds for novice clients (novice in the sense that they have not commissioned a development before) go sour not because of the competence (or lack thereof) of the professionals, but because the clients have little or no idea what they want, let alone [i]what they need[/i] (which is often NOT the same thing). This leads to constant design changes and cost and time overruns.

Of course, finding the right professionals is not a simple task, but that is another story...
    @RonBl_Feb 28.2016 — WordPress is quite powerful and if you JUST want to build a website WordPress in itself is absolutely fantastic.

However, many people who want a (WordPress) website really want a web business (get lots of traffic, make money with the site, etc). While putting up a (WordPress) site is easy, knowing how to build an online business is another story.

The real truth is that many people struggle to build a successful online business with WordPress. They keep changing or adding plugins, themes and other features hoping it will solve their problem. Yet Wordpress "as is" won't build an online business. It's missing a do-able start-to-finish BUSINESS process.

Surely, you can slog through the mountains of business building advice and tools that are out there. But for most WordPress users it all ends up being too much.

So, despite the dazzling display of Wordpress features, the reality for most (non-tech) people who want to create a web business with Wordpress is that they need to adhere to an easy-to-follow, all-in-one, proven, ethical webbusiness-building system (not a get rich quick scheme), tailored to the WordPress platform, to get (1) a significant amount of traffic and get (2) targeted traffic (example of such a system: WealthPrinciples dot net).

Otherwise... you'll end up having (and building) only a WordPress webSITE (or BLOG) but not a webBUSINESS.
    @brknnyMar 04.2016 — WordPress is not built around a few core features created by a small internal team . WordPress is an open-source stage with a large number of designers around the globe building modules and applications that can take care of pretty much any issue you can make.
    @oner789Mar 06.2016 — WordPress is not just a great blogging software; you can also use it as a marvelous content management system to publish a regular website provided you know how to carry out the needed tweaks and what all WordPress plug-ins are required. But why use WordPress as a CMS when so many great CMS applications like PHPNuke and Joomla available to create content-rich websites? Recently we covered how to create a website with WordPress.
    @nextorontoApr 22.2016 — I develop almost 99% of my website using WordPress now. There is a reason why it's the leading CMS in the world making upover 1/4 of websites and making up 3/4 of the CMS's. While you can hire a team of developers to build your website nobody will ever do the job and put in more passion than yourself if you're willing to learn it, which would be the best route.

To the comment above .. PHPNuke ??? I don't even think it even exists anymore..lol .. i used PHPNuke over 15 years ago.
    @3wCornerApr 27.2016 — Yes, Wordpress is powerful yet so user-friendly to use. It offers a lot of themes and plugins to choose from. And if you know, you can always create your own themes and plugins that is suitable for your application preference.
    @Lou_NeriApr 28.2016 — Well, if you plan on having a web developer team, then I think it's better to

just build your website directly using PHP.

Wordpress might be easy and doesnt require hard codings to build your site,

but I'm afraid it will harm you in the long run.
    @mindridersApr 30.2016 — Hi, I'm Rajesh new here. so please tell me about WordPress.
    @TrainApr 30.2016 — Hi, I'm Rajesh new here. so please tell me about WordPress.[/QUOTE]

If you would google word press

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=wordpress
    @Nicola_SeabrookMay 02.2016 — Wordpress is one of the great choices for a small business. It is a good platform when you can create blogs to increase your web presence. However, it is also necessary to visit this site and be updated with new posts from time to time.
    @3wCornerMay 04.2016 — What I like with Wordpress is being user-friendly and extensible to the extent that you can create your theme and plugins catering your preference and requirements using the programming language of your choice.
    @mayecorrie12May 06.2016 — Many powerful is wordpress. because it is very helpful and useful .

http://www.cute-it.com
    @CodermanMay 07.2016 — I don't think WordPress is the appropriate option to run a e-commerce site like eBay. As far I know Magento is better than WordPress for running an e-commerce site. WordPress is good for running a blog site or not too heavy site.
    @deaninfotechMay 19.2016 — Hello Everyone,

you have high pr social bookmarking site list which is boost my website ranking. social bookmarking site is niche for my website. we have providing website design development services. i need website design development related social bookmarking sites.
    @D_AMay 28.2016 — Post removed by Site Administrator since it looks more like spma than an answer to the original question about Wordpress.

Success!

Help @Heyalol spread the word by sharing this article on Twitter...

Tweet This
    Sign in
    Forgot password?
    Sign in with TwitchSign in with GithubCreate Account
    about: ({
    version: 0.1.9 BETA 4.24,
    whats_new: community page,
    up_next: more Davinci•003 tasks,
    coming_soon: events calendar,
    social: @webDeveloperHQ
    });

legal: ({