/    Sign up×
Community /Pin to ProfileBookmark

Best IDE for web development?

What is in your opinion the best IDE for web development which allows for both client and server side development? If your answer is for a non free IDE, do you think it is worth investing in it?

to post a comment
Full-stack Developer

48 Comments(s)

Copy linkTweet thisAlerts:
@NogDogApr 05.2016 — I currently use two of the JetBrains IDEs: PHPStorm and RubyMine. They are not free, but they are very good, IMO (and work pays for one of them ? ).
@devOpauthorApr 05.2016 — I got to work a bit with NetBeans which is OK.. still not the same as Visual Studio
@NogDogApr 05.2016 — PS: As far as free editors go, I like Komodo Edit. Komodo IDE has more features and is not free, but Edit is a very nice code editor that supports many code languages for syntax checking and highlighting.
@3wCornerApr 05.2016 — Try Eclipse.
@devOpauthorApr 06.2016 — I didn't know you can use Eclipse for web development.. I assume you meant Eclipse for PHP developers?

What if I want to use a different server side language? I'm not sure between PHP, Java with Spring or C# for ASP.NET
@tubc2015Apr 06.2016 — What specific programming language do you want to develop on?
@tubc2015Apr 06.2016 — If PHP, ASP.NET, Node.JS, ASP, and Razor (VB or C#), I suggest that you use the Microsoft WebMatrix 3. It's free and easy to use. Some features are:

• 1. designed for top languages

• 2. optimized for open source

• 3. your companion for the cloud

• 4. designed for mobile

• 5. source control with GIT

• 6. source control with TFS

• 7. remote site editing

• 8. extended by the communtity

• 9. additionally, you can quickly publish your website

• 10. PHP is the major programming language for this software

• For more info, please browse http://www.microsoft.com/web/webmatrix/

NOTE: This only works for IIS which is the Windows webserver, but you can install Apache or XAMPP server.
    @devOpauthorApr 06.2016 — What specific programming language do you want to develop on?[/QUOTE]

This is also one of the issues I'm facing.. I got to do a little server side development with PHP using NetBeans. I have also used Spring as a platform for a web service (not for a web site). And I also love using C# but got no experience with ASP.NET.

What do you suggest I use for the server side?
    @tubc2015Apr 06.2016 — If you're familiar with the .NET environment, you could build ASP.NET web apps. If Apache, you could use PHP, Ruby, Perl, or Python.

I suggest that you could use either PHP or ASP.NET because for me, PHP is the most suitable server side programming language used to build web apps, and you can use the above-mentioned software for development. If you choose ASP.NET, you could use the Microsoft Visual Studio (2010, 2013, 2015, ....). Besides, VB.NET and C# is already integrated in Visual Studio; VB.NET is easier than C# because of its simple programming logics. So, I suggest PHP or ASP.NET
    @devOpauthorApr 06.2016 — What about Spring? I know its being used for web services, but is it used for web sites as well?

Do you have any notes regarding using WebMatrix vs Visual Studio vs NetBeans vs Eclipse?
    @tubc2015Apr 06.2016 — What do you mean [B]Spring[/B]? Is it Spring IDE (Eclipse Plug-in) or Spring Tool Suite (Full Distribution)? Please provide me the complete information about that.

According to Wikipedia,

[B]Webmatrix vs Visual Studio[/B]

Microsoft WebMatrix is a free, [B]cloud-connected website builder[/B] and HTML editor for Windows, geared towards web development. WebMatrix [B]enables developers to build websites using built-in templates or popular open-source applications[/B], with full support for ASP.NET, PHP, Node.js and HTML5. Microsoft developed WebMatrix for the purpose of [B]providing web developers with coding, customization, and publishing capabilities all in one place.[/B]

Microsoft Visual Studio is an integrated development environment (IDE) from Microsoft. It is used to develop computer programs for Microsoft Windows, as well as web sites, web applications and web services. Visual Studio uses Microsoft software development platforms such as Windows API, Windows Forms, Windows Presentation Foundation, Windows Store and Microsoft Silverlight. It can produce both native code and managed code.

[B]NetBeans vs Eclipse[/B]

NetBeans is a software development platform written in Java. The NetBeans Platform allows applications to be developed from a set of modular software components called modules. Applications based on the NetBeans Platform, including the NetBeans integrated development environment (IDE), can be extended by third party developers.

Eclipse is an integrated development environment (IDE). It contains a base workspace and an extensible plug-in system for customizing the environment. Eclipse is written mostly in Java and its primary use is for developing Java applications, but it may also be used to develop applications in other programming languages through the use of plugins, including: Ada, ABAP, C, C++, COBOL, Fortran, Haskell, JavaScript, Julia,[2] Lasso, Lua, NATURAL, Perl, PHP, Prolog, Python, R, Ruby (including Ruby on Rails framework), Rust, Scala, Clojure, Groovy, Scheme, and Erlang. It can also be used to develop packages for the software Mathematica. Development environments include the Eclipse Java development tools (JDT) for Java and Scala, Eclipse CDT for C/C++ and Eclipse PDT for PHP, among others.

I'm currently using WebMatrix because I'm only developing PHP-driven websites.
    @devOpauthorApr 06.2016 — It seems like WebMatrix is definitely something I'm going to try. I think Microsoft's technology is much easier and fun to use than others. The only disadvantage with them is that almost nothing is free.. and then came WebMatrix.

I meant Spring Tool Suite. I have already used it once for a simple webservice with a single method entrance. Not sure how it would function as a server side framework for a web site, and how it compares to PHP or ASP.NET.
    @devOpauthorApr 06.2016 — Continuing my previous post, I forgot to ask.. The web site I'm planning to build will use HTML5/CSS3, Bootstrap and React. Does WebMatrix supports them all?
    @tubc2015Apr 06.2016 — What you mean React? Is that Rect JavaScript Library?

HTML5,CSS3, and Bootstrap are all in Webmatrix. You can get Bootstrap by installing it using WebMatrix Extensions.
    @tubc2015Apr 06.2016 — What you mean React? Is that React JS Library?
    @devOpauthorApr 06.2016 — I did mean the JavaScript library... is it also supported?
    @devOpauthorApr 14.2016 — I was told that there is now a free version of Visual Studio 2015 which also supports everything and is even better than webMatrix (at least so I've been told). Do you agree?
    @edgehead179Apr 18.2016 — In my opinion, Cloud9 is the best IDE and it's full stack. A disadvantage is that you only get 1 private workspace so prepare for your work to be out in the open unless you decide to pay. Another disadvantage is that since it is cloud based, you have to be online with a competent Internet speed. Other than those hurdles, Cloud9 is quite simply the best IDE I've ever used. I never have to worry about what software is installed on my computer or what version. I can just sit down and code.
    @TomekJacApr 18.2016 — Personally, for big projects I use NetBeans - good IDE with great support for developer in large application. But for smaller things, like webpages, I use Sublime - quick, lots of addons. Only problem is, that creators not very often release updates. ?
    @cwalesMay 18.2016 — I was told that there is now a free version of Visual Studio 2015 which also supports everything and is even better than webMatrix (at least so I've been told). Do you agree?[/QUOTE]

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-community-vs.aspx
    @clodJun 21.2016 — My choice is Codelobster.

It has best special support for many popular frameworks.
    @chocnutJun 22.2016 — I would also go for Komodo Edit, it is straight text based
    @designersXAug 09.2016 — Privately i have tried PHP Storm, Notepad++ and Netbeans and I assume that Netbeans is superior to at least the other two. It is very simple to use and has almost all the features an online developer would dream of.
    @designersXAug 12.2016 — [B]Dreamweaver[/B] is also good IDE for [B]Web Develpment[/B]. It has features to add its own bits of code to make things. I use Komodo Edit, but there are others out there. Its a good and based of straight text. I get into my wordpress account from that, (or access any ftp) and a make edit and update the files live from that. You can get your desire framework and theme to easy set the css.
    @designersXAug 13.2016 — ReactJS is a solution for building complex Web Applications.ReactJS runs entirely in the Browser. You give the components data, and it constructs the DOM for you. This means that your initial page can be as simple as:

<!DOCTYPE>

<html>

<head><title>ReactJS Page</title></head>

<body><div id="app"></div></body>

<script>

React.render(MyComponent(), document.getElementById("app"));

</script>

<html>
    @designersXAug 16.2016 — Eclipse does the job prove good for most of languages like J2EE, PHP with PDT, C/C++ with CDT and etc.But when you work on current project and you are using eclipse, it is not bad, but its great to work on same IDE.

If you are looking for something really good, PsPad and/or Notepad++ are the best. I think PsPad is not maintained anymore but I still use it. It's really great and light for PHP, Javascript, css and so on but you won't have auto-completion since it's not really an IDE.
    @designersXAug 17.2016 — 
  • 1. CoffeeCup Free HTML Editor

• 2. PSPad

• 3. Google Web Designer

• 4. KompoZer

• 5. SynWrite

• 6. Mobirise Website Builder

• 7. TOWeb

• 8. Weebly Free

• 9. openElement

• 10. Webflow
  • Copy linkTweet thisAlerts:
    @designersXAug 18.2016 — An integarted environment development simply named as IDE, is a software application that provide access and features to application developers to develope and design a software or a program.

But as per talking about IDE for web app development, Apanta, i think is power-full open source IDE.
    @designersXAug 25.2016 — Code Layout? Auto-completion? Design View?

How about Microsoft Visual Studio Express Edition? It's Free!
    @dinocajicAug 25.2016 — I favor all of the JetBrains products...for PHP and Java development mostly.
    @huwadAug 30.2016 — I'm using Atom text editor.. the best for me so far
    @vrinsofttechAug 30.2016 — I would recommend these IDEs:

Sublime: very fast, good for front-end development, but also PHP

Brackets: nice software, good for front-end, CSS

PHP Storm: robust IDE, excellent to back-end development
    @MikZeRSep 17.2016 — It really just depends on your needs. What programming languages do you need to use? I'm personally a .NET C# webdeveloper and I use Visual Studio. For HTML, CSS and JavaScript I would recommend Brackets. It's a really nice and highly customizable editor.

Good luck
    @jedaisoulSep 18.2016 — There is no such thing as the "best IDE for web development", so I will not offer one. There are IDEs that are best suited to the type of development that a particular developer may do, and we have examples above of these.
    @devworkoutSep 19.2016 — Definitely PHPStorm with VIM more enabled. And you can have it for free if you manage to get ISIC.
    @paulsockSep 21.2017 — I think one of the best website builders is Mobirise

You can find it here: https://mobirise.com/

It's drag and drop, offline webdesign software and it's for free
    @loomfenixMar 15.2019 — I agree with paulsock. Mobirise is one of the best web page softwares. The main pluses are that you can use Code Editor extension (https://mobirise.com/extensions/code-editor.html) just within the block. So basically, you can change the structure of the block in the app. Moreover, you can publish the project to your PC and change the code in the way you would like. Although, it wouldn't be possible to upload it back to Mobirise bootstrap generator.
    @elliewindlerMar 18.2019 — Here is the List of 12 Best IDEs for [Web Development](https://www.excellentwebworld.com/web-app-development/) in 2019

• 1. Visual Studio Code

• 2. Atom

• 3. Webstorm

• 4. PHPStorm

• 6. Brackets

• 7. Vim

• 8. Emacs

• 9. NetBeans

• 10. Angular IDE

• 11. Eclipse

• 12. Dreamweaver
    @jaterMar 19.2019 — Bermain poker online anda bisa mendaftar secara gratis di [Dewa Poker](http://www.dewapokercapsa.net/), tetapi tetap bisa mendapatkan keuntungan yang besar. Jika anda sudah mengetahui cara bermain yang benar, dan mengenal istilah yang ada didalam permainan poker itu sendiri, maka anda akan lebih mudah untuk bisa memenangkan taruhan, meskipun nominal modal yang anda masukan sangatlah kecil anda tetap bisa mendaptkan keuntungan yang banyak bila bermain poker online.
    @analyticMar 21.2019 — I use Visual Studio Code for html/css/javaScript/php/python, IntelliJ Idea for java, Visual Studio for .net and c++.
    @Martin_SmithMar 21.2019 — PHP Storm

Visual Studio code

Sublime Text ...etc are the best IDE for Web Development
    @cakasumaMar 21.2019 — I use VSCode for everything especially latest front end framework such as angular, react or vue, flask, django, php, even c++ or data analytics in python. except if you want exclusively ASP.NET, then Visual Studio (the full IDE) will be quite good option. other alternative for web dev might be IntelliJ WebStorm
    @AparnaharishJul 24.2019 — This article was very helpful for my research and I learn more ideas for your excellent post. Thank you and I like you more post in the future...

Links removed by Site Staff so it doesn't look like you're spamming us. Please don't post them again.
    @robertdavid718Jul 24.2019 — The best IDE for web development are following

a) PHP storm

b) Visual studio code

c) Sublime text

d) Atom

e) Web storm

f) Komodo
    @AashishSharmaaNov 29.2022 — The [Best IDE for Web development are given below:
  • 1. Atom

• 2. Visual Studio

• 3. PyCharm

• 4. Sublime Text

• 5. IntelliJ Idea

**Links removed by Site Administrator so it doesn't look like you're spamming us. Please don't post them again.**
    @sibertNov 29.2022 — Thread from 2016 - closing...
    @sibertNov 29.2022 — {"locked":true}

Success!

Help @devOp spread the word by sharing this article on Twitter...

Tweet This
    Sign in
    Forgot password?
    Sign in with TwitchSign in with GithubCreate Account
    about: ({
    version: 0.1.9 BETA 4.23,
    whats_new: community page,
    up_next: more Davinci•003 tasks,
    coming_soon: events calendar,
    social: @webDeveloperHQ
    });

legal: ({