/    Sign up×
Community /Pin to ProfileBookmark

Easy and Efficient "Tool Sets" and Frameworks for Development? IDE? Laravel, Meteor?

I’m an “old school” coder. But writing web apps last few years using PHP/MySQL/Javascript/JQUERY/Bootstrap primarily although Bootstrap I’m pretty green on as most the apps I’ve worked on I got the CSS library from a template and such.

I’d like to get a bit more efficient and developing more sophisticating apps. I’ve been coding for over 30 years but I’m out of touch with the current tool set that is widely viewed as the best of breed. I’ve been using a combination of tools like Notepad++, PHPMyAdmin, Coffee Cup Web Form Builder, etc. Pretty crude stuff. I’m 100% LAMP, no MS .NET, no thanks.

My head is swiming looking at all the options. Would greatly appreciate some input on what to zero in on. I’m not sure what fits together with what optimally. The key is I’m used to “hand conding” most stuff, and I really don’t have a lot of free time (or patience) to learns some IDE / MVP system that is overly complicated. Looking for a recipe that gives the “best bang for the buck” so to speak, buck = learning curve – I don’t want to have to spend money (at least not anything signficant) – I’m an Open Source Enthusiast.

Things that have peaked my interest:

• IDEs: NetBeans, Eclipse

• PHP Frameworks: Laravel, Zend (not going with Zend, consensus is it’s overly complicated and has “fallen behind”)

• Foundation versus Bootstrap? I’ve yet to memorize much of the Bootstrap CSS objects.

• Angular.js ReactJS and Meteor – Not sure how these “fit with” the above – each has it’s pluses and minuses but sounds like Meteor has the shortest learning curve followed by React.

• What say the seasoned developers out there that have tried most all of this stuff?

to post a comment
    PHP

13 Comments(s)

Copy linkTweet thisAlerts:
    @NogDogJan 31.2017 — IDEs: I really like PHPStorm, but their pricing model is kind of sucky now, so I've recently switched over to Atom, which is free and (very) open-source. Initial reaction is that it performs well, and is very customize-able.

Frameworks: In PHP-land, if you're going to use a MVC framework, IMHO Laravel is the choice. If you decide to pursue it, splurge for a month or two of tutorials at laracasts.com, as Jeffrey does a great job of explaining/showing all sorts of things about it and related tools, from introductory to advanced topics. (Some of the introductory stuff is free, so you can check those out first, perhaps.)

For the rest, I'm really a server-side guy and just do client-side stuff when forced to, which usually means Bootstrap to make it look not-too-ugly and work on most browsers/devices, then copy/paste JS stuff when needed. ? I know that the client-side team where I work is pretty much all-in on Angular, but I know virtually nothing about it except at a very high level.
    @JazeeauthorJan 31.2017 — Great input.

Yes, Laravel seems like the logical choice considering I'm fluent in PHP. Although I'm becoming increasingly intrigued by Django -- but at this late stage in my career not sure I want to spend the time learning Python.
    @NogDogJan 31.2017 — Great input.

Yes, Laravel seems like the logical choice considering I'm fluent in PHP. Although I'm becoming increasingly intrigued by Django -- but at this late stage in my career not sure I want to spend the time learning Python.[/QUOTE]

I'm trying to make the switch to Ruby/Rails now for work. My little bit of Python exposure suggests it might be a [I]bit[/I] easier of a migration from PHP than Ruby, but really it's mostly all the Rails-specific stuff that's the learning curve for me...plus we run it all in Docker, so have to learn that, too. My old brain isn't as flexible as it used to be. ? Our data engineering team uses Python a lot, as they like its DB support along with multi-threading capabilities, but I don't know anyone who has actually used Django, so that's still a black box to me.
    @Endive_SoftwareFeb 07.2017 — When We talk about Php FrameWork these 6 are in mind

1) ZEND

2) CODEIGNITER

3) CAKEPHP

4) LARAVEL

5) YII

6) SYMFONY

in that list i prefer Laravel as Laravel is the most widely used PHP framework today, and is slated to be at the top for at least a few years more. Developers and customers have shown a huge interest in Laravel development, around the world. It has grown a lot in the PHP frameworks group, thanks to its supreme quality and excessively included code base structure.
    @lon124Feb 28.2017 — Hi Jazee,

I'm also an old-school coder and basically just use Sublime (text editor), so I'm not sure you're really missing out if you're not using an IDE. Tools are a really personal choice so you've probably arrived at the perfect sweet spot for you after all these years.

If you're not using a virtual machine (docker, vagrant, virtualbox) for development, then that would be a great additional to your setup.

My opinions on frameworks/languages:

PHP: go with Laravel, there is no feasible alternative

Bootstrap vs. Foundation: go with Boostrap, foundation is too bloated (personally I'm not a fan of either, I prefer simple solutions, skeleton css, simple grid)

Angular/React/Meteor: Meteor is a different animal, react is probably a bit more future proof, vue.js might be a better fit if you simply need to add JS on top of existing page

Python vs. Ruby: I'd say you hear almost nothing about Ruby these days, whereas Python is talked about all the time, mainly because of its popularity in the startup / data crunching world. So if you're planning to learn another language, I'd probably go with Python.

My thinking overall: If you can code, which it seems you can, then you can learn all of the above. It's just a matter of time. And at that point it becomes a question of what is most important to you and where you want to spend the limit time that we have on this planet...

To put a different spin on things: You seem to feel that you 'need' to learn something new. I would be interested to hear what triggered that thought? After 30 years of coding, you probably know more than most. And are there other things that might make you happier? ?

Best of luck!
    @SBebbersMar 09.2017 — Hi Jazee,

I'm also an old-school coder and basically just use Sublime (text editor), so I'm not sure you're really missing out if you're not using an IDE. Tools are a really personal choice so you've probably arrived at the perfect sweet spot for you after all these years.[/QUOTE]

That all depends on how you use an IDE - if you use it as a text editor then you are correct, you are not missing out. But if you use it to manage your SQL scripts and version control as well as command line stuff then you are as you will need your text editor, SQL workbench-type program, Source Tree or other and your command line open all at once.

I don't know how good Sublime is as it has been a few years since I've used it, but being able to auto-detect errors and warnings throughout a whole project in my IDE is another good thing as it is validating my HTML and error checking my scripts whilst I'm developing. I have found valid HTML easier to work with when using jQuery. If I switch to a different tech stack or language, like Java or C++ then my IDE will do my error checking and validation for that as well. Happy Days.

I tried working with a Magento project with Sublime and honestly for such frameworks Sublime just didn't hack it.

PHP: go with Laravel, there is no feasible alternative[/QUOTE]

Yes there is. If you are not happy with the framework choices out there, build your own. Or at least be open to other frameworks and CMS products. I've used CodeIgniter, Joomla!, WordPress, Magento, Zend FrameWork, ExpressionEngine and custom built frameworks as well as Laravel so I'm agnostic as I know there is always an alternative.

As for old school, real old school developers used to use cross-assemblers or cross-compilers, so the source is on one machine and a running version is on another. This is way before the days of cloud computing. Manic Miner (1983) was developed on a TRS-80 and cross-assembled to a Sinclair ZX Spectrum so if the code crashed then the source wasn't lost :-)

Regards,

Shaun.
    @SBebbersMar 10.2017 — Hi Jazee,

Here's another useful thing that I find with IDEs over text editors like Sublime and Notepad++ - in my Eclipse environment, I can hover over method calls and it will give me a tool-tip with the PHP Doc. Hover with CTRL depressed on the keyboard and I get to see the method's script. And if I hover and click with CTRL depressed I'm taken to that method directly.

This is the same with PHP functions - in fact I learnt a lot of PHP by simply hovering over the declaration and reading the comment block. Also the links in the PHP doc are active, which will open in a new tab in my IDE.

And there is another good thing - if I want to do quick testing but am not ready for cross-browser testing yet, I can run my project from within the IDE itself as it has its own browser. So pretty much everything that I need to do, from scripting to version control to unit testing and quick visual testing is in one program. I know it's not very artisan or hipster, but then I'm not a very artisan or hipster type developer. I leave the maintenance of build tools and all that rubbish to the artisan hipster types.

Regards,

Shaun.
    @lon124Mar 10.2017 — Shaun - I understand the points you make. The IDE choice is still a very personal thing for me. I've worked on many complex projects in Sublime or simpler text editors and it was never an issue for me. (I think there are plugins for Sublime that turn it into an IDE of sorts but I haven't used them and think that other IDEs would be easier to pick up) Doesn't mean one is better or not, in my mind there is a 'right' toolset. Horses for courses, right?

As to frameworks: I'd be interested to hear your opinion which one you'd pick to learn to further your career?

Interesting discussion!
    @SBebbersMar 10.2017 — Shaun - I understand the points you make. The IDE choice is still a very personal thing for me. I've worked on many complex projects in Sublime or simpler text editors and it was never an issue for me. (I think there are plugins for Sublime that turn it into an IDE of sorts but I haven't used them and think that other IDEs would be easier to pick up) Doesn't mean one is better or not, in my mind there is a 'right' toolset. Horses for courses, right?

As to frameworks: I'd be interested to hear your opinion which one you'd pick to learn to further your career?

Interesting discussion![/QUOTE]

What helped me the most, after BASIC and some assembly in the 1980s and 1990s, and then a career in social care where the whole world of computing passed me by, and then going back into computer science after realising that social care is a dead-end career, was C. This was after Java when I went to Uni as a mature student. C made sense. I also did MIPs assembly for one of the modules but as I already knew some assembly (albeit 6502) this wasn't helpful.

The most helpful thing in PHP terms was learning the Magento CMS - building modules and such - because after that everything else seemed easy, or easier. This was Mage 1.7.x when the documentation wasn't very good. I really liked Zend FrameWork when I worked with that and based my own framework on some of its principles.

There is an urban myth about 'Old School coders' in that they'd use simple text editors to write their scripts. This is not true. The best 'Old School' developers that I've met (those that were around when coding *was* coding and not loads of high-level scripting) used the best tools for the job. Or they'd write their own if there wasn't one that met their needs. Because if they were clever enough to make software, they were clever enough to make software to aid them in making more software.

The best thing of all for progressing one's career is knowing how to debug stuff to view part of your dataset (or all of the object as required), or to do a line-by-line die(); statement when you're still not sure what's happening. I had to do this to debug the ExpressionEngine core as it was upgraded from 2.0 to 2.9 and the upgrade just didn't go smoothly. And EllisLabs tech support truly sucks. Don't bother paying for it ever. They just can't answer technical questions about their own product.

Regards,

Shaun.
    @ybahnasyMar 11.2017 — thanks
    @technoexponent18Jul 17.2018 — Laravel is one of the best open-source PHP framework for web and web based application website development. Techno Exponent has a good team to laravel expert to build your own website. you can visit : https://www.technoexponent.com/hire-laravel-developers
    @rootJul 17.2018 — OLD POST.

Please don't resurrect old posts please.
    @rootJul 17.2018 — {"locked":true}

Success!

Help @Jazee spread the word by sharing this article on Twitter...

Tweet This
    Sign in
    Forgot password?
    Sign in with TwitchSign in with GithubCreate Account
    about: ({
    version: 0.1.9 BETA 4.27,
    whats_new: community page,
    up_next: more Davinci•003 tasks,
    coming_soon: events calendar,
    social: @webDeveloperHQ
    });

legal: ({