/    Sign up×
Community /Pin to ProfileBookmark

IP address traffic blocked to UK

Hi Everyone, I have a problem with a blocked IP. I’m getting desperate..

My Question: How do I get this resolved? Who do I contact?

Thank you, in advance.

I’m a small web design and hosting company in the UK, using a cloud server in the US. We have approx. 30 domains with email hosted.

I have a problem I have not seen before. I have lodged a support ticket with the hosting company and they have helped me identify the cause but are tardy with a solution.

Over the last weekend all our email and some sites stopped working. I found I couldn’t access WHM or any cPanels.

With help from server tech it was clear that all email and web traffic was accessible in the USA, but NOT IN THE UK.

After much gnashing of teeth and hair rending, I worked out it was a specific IP ADDRESS that was being blocked somewhere. This IP is shared between my base domain and some hosted domains. It is all these domains that are not accessible in the UK. The base domain is the mail server for all the domains; hence email not being accessible for all our domains, even the ones that can be seen in the UK.

I did a simple tracert from my PC on the suspect IP address and it reaches a certain hop, 6 hops in, and times out repeatedly after that.

My Question: How do I get this resolved? Who do I contact?

HELP!!!

[code]Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.371]
(c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:WindowsSystem32>tracert ***.***.***.***

Tracing route to cloud.gtwd1.co.uk [***.***.***.***]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms BTBusinessHub.home [$$$.***.$$$.***]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 31.***.***.***
4 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms 31.%%%.***.***
5 10 ms 9 ms 10 ms core3-hu0-6-0-3.faraday.ukcore.bt.net [00.00.00.00]
6 11 ms 12 ms 11 ms 62.6.***.***
7 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms 215.***.***.*** (it stops here)
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete[/code]

*please use BBCode tags or Markdown when posting code or output that is not part of the question, thx..

to post a comment
Full-stack Developer

5 Comments(s)

Copy linkTweet thisAlerts:
@VITSUSAApr 18.2018 — Our team of experts can help you asap, so how i contact with you?
@Steve_R_JonesmoderatorApr 18.2018 — Please keep ALL question and answers on our site so it doesn't look you are spamming us.
@grumpytedauthorApr 18.2018 — Thanks Steve

Vitsusa - how can you help, costs?
@VITSUSAApr 18.2018 — @Steve_R_Jones#1591319 Sorry Steve, next time i will Remember .
@rootApr 18.2018 — You can post here which means that you have no connectivity issues with this website which. If you can interact with Yahoo or MSN or other services that are US based, then the problem is their end, plain and simple.

Immediate things you can do

ping <your domain name>
ping <your server ip address>

and see what the response is.

If you get a response from the IP address but not the domain name then its a DNS or Domain Records issue and your host needs to look at this for you as you have't interfered with this, but someone has and that only leaves one other source, the host.

If you get a response from both, then theres another issue and that says to me that the issue is their side, the server responded to the ping indicating the server is live but you are not getting anything through the other protocols, so its got to be in their config or the domain records.

A faster way of testing if this is a blocked IP range is to try and use a proxy server in another country, try several including services you can access for free in the US and if you can connect through all proxies, I would say that they are using a database to block an IP range and that the block has been recycled and allocated to the UK from another country (which happens) and that could be the problem, there are legal issues over using such databases (I will add).

You could try to use a proxy server to try and view the site, if you can see it then your possible looking at an issue with their routing.

Ping is an ICMP protocol, so getting the server to talk to you on this protocol does not always mean it will talk to you on http(s) or other protocols like POP servers using SMTP or IMAP.

So you should establish certain things like what block of IP addresses is your host using and can you ping them and ping others that may be allocated to other users within that IP block, these neighbours my prove a point that the backbone and routers for you to do this are working perfectly fine, especially when you find service issues. Proving that you are not the source is difficult.

Hosts can be awkward and clutch at excuses after excuse, I had a web host claim I deleted the htdocs folder, something I know I had no permissions to do because I was not allowed inserting a new htdocs folder (as suggested by the host who refused to do it themselves) found I didn't have the authority to do such things, only go in to the folder (if it existed) Took 6 months of arguments and trading standards didn't want to get involved because... it was an american company operating in the UK. Seems all US companies, big or small do not respect our consumer rights, so you really are best off protecting your rights and find a UK host.

Success!

Help @grumpyted spread the word by sharing this article on Twitter...

Tweet This
Sign in
Forgot password?
Sign in with TwitchSign in with GithubCreate Account
about: ({
version: 0.1.9 BETA 4.25,
whats_new: community page,
up_next: more Davinci•003 tasks,
coming_soon: events calendar,
social: @webDeveloperHQ
});

legal: ({