I have a handful of simple anchor tags, for example:
<a href="url.html">Some Text</a>
But when I view the pages, the links don't show up. When I do "view source" from the browser, the links appear like this:
Note the link text is gone!
I have noticed this on a handful of links on a few different web pages. I cannot find any commonality between the pages that exhibit this problem.
The text is there in the original files. I can telnet into the server and verify that the link text is intact.
Figuring that I must be viewing some strange cached version of these pages, I purged the cache. Same result. I even try another browser (firefox and IE) - both give the same result. I re-uploaded the files to the server, and even changed the link text - still broke.
Even stranger - after a few panicked hours I discovered that this problem is unique to my machine (XP Pro SP2). The problem web pages display just fine from any other computer.