/    Sign up×
Community /Pin to ProfileBookmark

htaccess, htpasswd – making a login form / screen

Hi,

I want to add a password protected directory using .htaccess / .htpasswd.

This i can do, but what I’d like is to be able to make a login page rather than the little browser window that pops up asking for the username & password.

Does anyone know if this is possible to do, to be able to add a form to a page that would log in and accept the user/pass ? If so, please help !

What would the form need to say ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Gavioli

to post a comment
HTML

10 Comments(s)

Copy linkTweet thisAlerts:
@ryguillianOct 04.2005 — Unfortunately, .htaccess uses the HTTP security mechanism. If you somehow want access control using a 'login page' then you're going to need to use a more sophisticated tool like PHP. However, .htaccess is not the route you're going to take to accomplish this.
@plabebobOct 05.2005 — i just read your post and noticed that you said you know how to make a password box pop up......i've been trying to fugure out how to do that for ages!

can you pm me how you do it..or point me in the direction of a useful tutorial or something?

much appreciated

plabebob.
@konithomimoOct 05.2005 — gavilioli, here is a way that allows you to have a login box embedded in your web page for pages that are normally only available through a pop up dialogue box.

<i>
</i>&lt;!-- STEP ONE: Paste this code into the HEAD of your HTML document --&gt;

&lt;HEAD&gt;

&lt;SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"&gt;

&lt;!-- Begin
function Login(form) {
var username = form.username.value;
var password = form.password.value;
var server = form.server.value;
if (username &amp;&amp; password &amp;&amp; server) {
var htsite = "http://" + username + ":" + password + "@" + server;
window.location = htsite;
}
else {
alert("Please enter your username and password.");
}
}
// End --&gt;
&lt;/script&gt;

&lt;/HEAD&gt;

&lt;!-- STEP TWO: Copy this code into the BODY of your HTML document --&gt;

&lt;BODY&gt;

&lt;!-- The hidden form field "server" needs to be the
address of your password protected directory. --&gt;

&lt;form name=login&gt;
&lt;input type="hidden" name="server" value="www.domain.com/secure/"&gt;
Username:
&lt;input type=text name=username size=20&gt;
&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;
Password:
&lt;input type=password name=password size=20&gt;
&lt;input type=button value="Login!" onClick="Login(this.form)" name="button"&gt;
&lt;/form&gt;

@gavioliauthorOct 05.2005 — Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments & help.

It looks like php is the way.

That script that you gave, konithomimo, unfortunately is no good for my application and won't work for me, but thanks anyway.

Gavioli
@gavioliauthorOct 07.2005 — Hi,

It's a tricky thing to figure, until you know how and what to use, then really simple !!

I couldn't get it to work, until I found this tutorial - http://help.bnsi.net/htpasswd/htpasswd.php

First of all, your host must be able to let you upload .htaccess & .htpasswd files. If you can't do this through ftp, then you simply won't be able to do it. The only simple way to pass protect is via java script - but of course any hacker can get past that.

If you can upoload these files, then have a look at that link and you must download the htpasswd.exe. Without this programme, you can't make the file in the correct format.

I read on loads of pages where people say write a text file, then just rename it, but that is fine for the .htacess, but the .htpasswd is the important thing and without that programme, a simple text editor won't save it right and it'll never work.

If you need any more help or info, drop me a message.

regards,

gavioli
@konithomimoOct 07.2005 — To create a .htaccess file all you need is a text editor such as notepad. Just save the file as .htaccess.txt, then upload it and rename it .htaccess

You don't need any special programs to create access files.
@gavioliauthorOct 20.2005 — .htaccess is fine in a text editor, but without htpasswd.exe, I couldn't make that file (.htpasswd) work

I'm not sure why, but if you make the .htpasswd file in a text editor, it just doesn't work right.
@xkipxDec 10.2005 — Do you know the code to use for secure to make it from the server eg. /home/public_html/etc instead of http://www.blah.com/secure

?
@srbrodzikDec 13.2017 — I know this is an old post so that might explain why the link http://help.bnsi.net/htpasswd/htpasswd.php does not work. This is something I'm trying to do and looking for some guidance.
@rootDec 14.2017 — Please do not resurrect old posts.

** closed **

Success!

Help @gavioli spread the word by sharing this article on Twitter...

Tweet This
Sign in
Forgot password?
Sign in with TwitchSign in with GithubCreate Account
about: ({
version: 0.1.9 BETA 4.19,
whats_new: community page,
up_next: more Davinci•003 tasks,
coming_soon: events calendar,
social: @webDeveloperHQ
});

legal: ({